t w e n t y - t w o

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO( RELAX )

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
( RELAX )

     CARMEN LAYS BACK on the couch. The events of the previous day had taken a toll on her, of which she didn't want to discuss with anyone. And as far as Carmen knew, she would spend the day relaxing in the Why Don't We house, trying to forget the event that will forever haunt her; Jackson was back.

Zach joins her on the couch, giving her a smile as he hands her a cinnamon roll. "I know you're supposed to be on a soup diet, but I think you should at least try to eat something else."

"Why?" Carmen furrows her eyebrows, glancing down at the roll in her hand.

"It's obvious you're losing weight, Carmen," Zach says, frowning at his own words as he looks down at her flat waist. "Please just try, for me. And if you can't, I understand."

The girl smiles at his care, nodding as she takes a small bite from the cinnamon roll. She automatically moans at the familiar taste that she had been yearning for- something other than soup. Zach chuckles as she lays her head on his shoulder.

"Thank you," She says, taking another bite. "I will never eat soup again."

"Anything for you," Zach says lacing his fingers with hers.

Eating with her broken arm- of which she felt was getting slightly better- Carmen looks up at him, pausing. "Anything?" She raises an eyebrow as he nods. "Could you pretty please go get me some Starbucks?"

"Don't you want to go with me?" He furrows his eyebrows.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving the house . . . " Carmen trails off, clearing her throat as she looks to the floor.

"Don't worry about it," Zach shakes his head, standing as he gives her an assuring smile. "I understand. I'll be back, okay?"

"Caramel mocha frappuccino," Carmen reminds him.

"I already knew that," He winks, grabbing his car keys. "Daniel! Take care of Carmen while I'm gone, please."

"I don't need a babysitter," Carmen insists, watching as Daniel moves to sit next to her, tossing an arm over her shoulder. "I'm fine, I promise."

"Safety precautions," Zach says, opening the front door. "I'll be back soon."

After his departure, Carmen turns to Daniel with a pleading look. "You're not really going to watch every move I make, are you? Because I really don't need a babysitter."