t h i r t y - t h r e e

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE( WAKE UP )

( WAKE UP )

     CARMEN WASN'T AWARE of her state. The girl seemed to be dreaming- not fully sleeping, but dreaming. She was back at a familiar house; the Why Don't We house. Carmen was standing behind a couch, where a girl that looked exactly like her slept.

Carmen realized this girl was her past self, as there was a cast wrapped around her frail arm. The girl looked weak- her breathing heavy, but her eyes sealed shut as she was sleeping peacefully. A boy sat next to the couch, his hand clasped in hers. That boy was Zach.

Carmen gasps, having not seen the boy in the time she was kidnapped. Of course she had gotten to see him before her eyes closed, but it wasn't nearly as long as she wished it were. She stays glued to her spot, watching as her past self began to move in her sleep.

Her lips opened as cries left her mouth, her head jerking to the side as she shook her head.

"No!" She cried, moving around anxiously while still sleeping. "Stop!"

Zach was immediately by her side, gripping her hand a bit harder. "Carmen, shhhh," He said softly, placing his free hand on one of her cheeks. "It's okay, I'm here. Shhh."

The girl placed her hand on top of his, as if his touch took away her nightmare. She leaned into his hand, her movement ceasing as she calmed down. He softly cooed in her ear, lulling the girl back to sleep.

Carmen moved to stand where Zach once sat, watching as the boy stroked her cheek. A small smile was planted on his lips- it was a smile that Carmen had always enjoyed. She smiled herself, seeing how well he took care of her while she was hurt.

Carmen stepped forward to sit down next to Zach, but instead, she was met with an empty space. Her past self had disappeared from the bed, as well as Zach. She glanced around, confused as a shuffle came from upstairs.

She followed the noise, of which leaded her to Zach's bedroom. The door was open, revealing Zach shuffling through his drawers. He was careful for some reason, repeatedly looking behind him after he made a single noise. Carmen followed his glance to see herself, curled up on the bed, sleeping again.

Zach made another noise, catching her attention once again. He then pulled out a pair of sweatpants, then a t-shirt, before laying them on the nightstand next to her. He then proceeded to grab a pen and paper from his desk, scribbling quickly onto the note. He layed it on top of the shirt that was perfectly folded, before putting the pen back.

He stepped over to her past self, smiling as he looked down at her. Careful to not wake her, he pressed a small, chaste kiss to her forehead, before turning, and walking right through Carmen. The corner of her lips twitched upwards as she saw the name 'Zach' scribbled onto the paper, remembering when she woke up the morning she had first stayed the night.