s i x t e e n

CHAPTER SIXTEEN( GET AWAY )

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
( GET AWAY )

     CARMEN STARES OVER at Zach. For the past few minutes, he had been constantly by her side. It was almost as if she were back in the hospital, all of her friends were worrying about her once again. Aurora had been particularly angry about the phone call, but didn't question Carmen about the caller.

By now, she had finally stopped crying, and had laid her soup aside. Carmen no longer had an appetite, and it surely didn't go unnoticed by Zach.

"You need to eat," Zach says sternly, handing her the bowl. "It's bad enough that you're only allowed to eat soup."

"I have to call my mom," Carmen shakes her head, placing her phone to her ear. "I'll eat later, okay?"

He didn't have time to reply, as her mother answered the call immediately.

"Hey, baby. Are you doing okay?" Alyssa asks her daughter from the line. "Is anything wrong?"

"I'm fine, mom," Carmen mutters, before squeezing her eyes shut. "But I was wondering . . . did you happen to contact Jess about the crash?"

"Of course, honey," Her mother says. "Even though you and Jackson aren't together anymore, she still has the right to know. She cares about you, Carmen. She always has, and nothing changed."

"I- why?" Carmen grows tense. "Mom, you know we moved for a reason. He's the reason, but you still spouted to his mother?"

"She called the night that you were in the hospital, and asked how you were doing. I only have her a solid answer. It's not like I called her myself, hun."

"Why did she call?"

"She calls every week to check on you, Carmen." Her mother sighs. "You of all people know that she's a great person. She got Jackson help, you know?"

"Help?" Carmen chokes out, her hands beginning to shake. "Mom, please tell me she didn't ask for the address."

"Well, she-"

"Mommy," Carmen says in a whisper. Her bottom lip trembles, Zach beginning to grow worried. "Jackson called me today. He knows where I live, and he- he told me he'd find me. You didn't tell Jess the adress, did you?"

The other end is silent. The pause triggers something inside of Carmen, causing her anger to flare.

"Why would you tell them something like that?" She snaps, tears falling from her eyes. "He's the reason we came here! Don't you remember that? He's the reason my father is DEAD!"