t h i r t y - f i v e

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE( COSTUME )

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
( COSTUME )

     CARMEN SMILES TO herself. It had been nearly a week since the accident, and Carmen had been released from the hospital earlier on in the morning. She had arrived home with her mother and her friends after Casey, Laila, Cole, and Jackson had been sent in for questioning. Of course Carmen was required to answer questions too, of which Zach had protested until the very end.

Even through her condition, she managed to answer all the questions they had. And after that, Jackson and Cole were sent to jail. Jackson for assault, kidnapping, and attempted murder, and Cole for kidnapping and abetting a crime. By now, the two were awaiting their year sentences.

When on their way, Zach insisted on helping Carmen in every way he could- including carrying her instead of allowing her to use her crutches. And to his surprise, she hadn't argued with him at all over it. She never mentioned the fact that he was overprotective. Instead, she embraced and enjoyed it.

Carmen is helped out of the car by Zach, of which he places her gently into a wheelchair. The girl sighs, glancing up at the house she hadn't been to in over a week. Her mother pushes her forward, Zach walking alongside them with his fingers laced with Carmen's.

"Fuck off, I see my Caramel," Aurora shoves Jonah aside, slamming the car door behind them. "Carmen! I haven't seen you in hours!"

Carmen chuckles as Aurora moves Zach away from the girl, taking his spot. "You okay?" She questions, glancing over her uncomfortable position.

"I'm okay," Carmen shrugs. "But my ribs are hurting a little bit."

"Here, let me carry you," Zach says, stepping in front of them. Carmen's mother, Alyssa, smiles as he gently lifts her from the wheelchair, and carries her to the door.

Carmen lays her head on his chest, closing her eyes for a moment. When entering the house, Zach places her on the couch lightly, before taking the seat next to her and laying his feet on his lap. He then turns on Divergent on the television, a movie Carmen had previously watched and fell in love with at the hospital.

"I'm gonna have to leave, sweetie," Alyssa sighs, bending down to her daughter's level. "Jessica and I have a lot to talk about."

"Okay," Carmen nods, placing a chaste kiss on her cheek before she stands.

"You take good care of my daughter," Alyssa advises, giving Zach a stern look. "And make sure she's in your line of sight at all times."

"Of course," Zach nods, glancing over at Carmen. "I wasn't planning on letting her go anywhere, actually. I think she's better off here."