t e n

CHAPTER TEN( LEAVING )

CHAPTER TEN
( LEAVING )

     CARMEN SIGHS AS she stares at Elle. Having known the fact that Zach wouldn't allow it, Carmen still hesitated as Elle asked to go out with her and Mark.

"I don't know, Elle," Carmen says. "Zach got upset the last time I left him here alone, and he made me promise I wouldn't do it again."

"He can handle another day," Elle rolls her eyes, tugging Carmen's shirt with a pout. "Please? You can spend today with him, and be gone just for tommorow night."

"But what will Mark think about me third wheeling?" Carmen raises an eyebrow. "I think you should talk to him about it first."

"I already did, and he's totally fine with it. He said as long as I'm happy, he's happy. And I won't be happy without you."

"I don't know . . . " Carmen trails off, running her fingers through her hair. "I don't want Zach to get mad-"

"He won't get mad at you," Aurora assures her. "Just tell him. He can have all day with you today, and we'll only be gone for a few hours tomorrow."

Staring at her best friend, Carmen lets out another sigh, prepared to convince Zach to allow her to go.

"Okay, fine, Elle. I'll do it."

---

"So," Carmen says, plopping down on the couch next to Zach. His eyes immediately light up, making Daniel smirk from across from them. "How do you feel about me leaving for a few hours?"

"It's fine as long as I'm with you," Zach shrugs.

"No," Carmen clears her throat. "Without you."

"Did you not see how he reacted when you got back yesterday?" Daniel asks, gaining her attention. "He flipped out after you left. I think your only choice is to allow him to go with you."

"Well, Elle and Mark are going out tommorow night to watch a movie." Carmen states, looking back over at Zach. "Elle asked if i could come, and I said yes. It'd only be for a couple of hours."

"But you promised," Zach groans, grabbing her hand and laying his head in her lap. "You can't leave me again, just let me go with you."

"I tried that, but Elle said no," Carmen says, staring down at him. "It won't be that long, Zach. You can live without me."

"I love chocolate!" Daniel yells from the couch.

"You hate chocolate," Zach says, looking confused.

"Sorry," Daniel chuckles. "I thought we were lying to each other."

"Zach can live without me," Carmen rolls her eyes. "Why do you all underestimate that? He was fine before he met me."

"You're his soulmate," Daniel answers for him. "And since he's met you, do you expect him to not protect you?"

"What do you mean, protect me?"

"Not that I don't trust Mark," Zach starts, looking up at Carmen from his place on her lap. "But I want you safe. Here. With me."

"Can you trust me on this?" Carmen pleads. "Mark and Elle will protect me. I'll be perfectly fine, we're just going to the movies."

"Two hours." Zach says stiffly, looking into her eyes as he gives in. "I'll give you two hours to watch the movie. Anything over, and I'm coming to find you, okay?"

"Okay," Carmen smiles, her face brightening instantly. She pecks his lips, making Zach's heart beat faster, butterflies fluttering in his stomach.

"Awww," Daniel coos, clapping his hands. "This is so cute!"

Carmen shakes her head, leaning back into the couch as she plays with Zach's hair.

---

"Carmen," Zach says, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Carmen. Carmen."

"Yes, Zach?"

"You're beautiful," He grins, placing his chin on her shoulder.

"Why can't you do that to me, Jonah?" Aurora questions, raising an eyebrow. "Am I not beautiful?"

"What?" Jonah asks, confused as he sits at the kitchen bar.

"You don't think I'm beautiful?" Aurora gasps, a shriek escaping her lips. "Well then, Mr. Marais, I don't think we should be together anymore."

"What? No! No! You're beautiful," He rushes, standing from his spot. "You're beautiful."

Carmen giggles, leaning into Zach's chest as she listens to Aurora joke with Jonah.

"I think you should meet my parents." Aurora states. "If we're getting married next week, I think you should meet them."

"Next week?" Zach chuckles, looking at them from over Carmen's shoulder.

"You doubt it?" Jonah questions with a serious expression.

"Uh, well, not exactly. I'm not surprised at anything the two of you do anymore."

"So you'd believe it if I told you I was arrested before for stealing ice cream from Dairy Queen?"

"Yes, Aurora, I'd believe it," Zach says. "But I'm not sure if that's such a good thing to say in public."

"I have no shame, Heroine. I am a queen."

"That's not a surprise either."

"I'm hungry," Carmen mutters. "Hey Aurora, do you want to go get some ice cream?"

"Oooh! Are we shoplifting?" She asks excitedly.

"No."

"Then no," She frowns. "It's not fun if you aren't breaking the law."

"Do you want to get ice cream, Zach?"

"Anything for you," He grins.

"Why can't you do that to me, Jonah?" Aurora turns back to him. "Am I not good enough for ice cream?"

"What?"

"You don't think I'm good enough for ice cream? Well then, Mr. Marais, I don't think we should be together anymor-"

"Here we go again."

_____