t h i r t y - n i n e

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE( PLANS )

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
( PLANS )

     CARMEN STEPS OUT of the bathroom. Daniel claps enthusiastically, a smile spreading across Zach's lips. Carmen rolls her eyes, glancing down at her costume. She was in a black long sleeve shirt, black leggings, a red skirt, Minnie Mouse ears, and a black nose.

"It's so cute!" Daniel gushes.

"Hey!" Zach glares, elbowing the boy in the ribs. "Knock it off. And yes, you look very cute. It's perfect."

"You sure?" Carmen raises an eyebrow, leaning against the wall behind her.

"Positive," Zach grins. "I like your nose. It really brings out your eyes."

Carmen glares playfully, snatching a bag from the couch behind them. She proceeds to hand the bag to Zach with a smirk. "Your turn."

"You know, I'll be very upset if I don't look amazing," Zach teases, turning to the girl as she stands next to Daniel. "I might just not even wear it."

"After all my hard work?" Carmen gasps. "Fine then! I'll just find a new Mickey Mouse."

"I volunteer as tribute," Daniel raises his hand.

"Go try it on," Carmen rolls her eyes, shoving Zach forward. "I promise you'll like it. And if not, well . . . I don't know."

"Okay," Zach smiles, stepping into the bathroom, before closing the door behind him.

"How good are you at running?" Carmen questions Daniel lowly, taking a sharp glance at the bathroom door.

"Pretty good," Daniel shrugs. "Why?"

"Because there may be something other than a Halloween costume in that bag," Carmen chuckles.

"What did you do?" Daniel whispers.

"Oh, very funny, Carmen," Zach says from the bathroom, cutting the girl off. "That's real matu- OH MY GOD IS THAT A SNAKE?"

"RUN!" Carmen yells, jumping into Daniel's arms as Zach's screeches fill the house. "RUN LIKE YOU JUST ROBBED A BANK AND THE COPS ARE COMING, DANIEL!"

Just as the bathroom door swings open to reveal a flustered Zach, Daniel secures his hold on the girl, before sprinting down the hallway. Zach follows close behind, exiting the house along with the two.

Daniel makes a decision to stop near the right side of the pool, Zach stopping opposite of them.

"We'll jump," Daniel threatens dramatically, stepping closer to the pool. "Don't come any closer!"