f i f t y - t h r e e

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE( PROPOSE )

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
( PROPOSE )

     CARMEN SMILES IN accomplishment. The present she had reached for at the back of the Christmas tree now rested in her palms. She moves to sit in front of Zach, placing the wrapped gift in his lap with the smile still on her face.

Over a month had passed since the Halloween party, and Christmas day had arrived. Everything after the hospital visit had seemed to fly by, but was, nonetheless, interesting at the least.

Callie had ended up with a run-in with her father's custody wishes, resulting in a court date that she dreaded. But after finding a suitable lawyer- Aurora's father, and the widely known Charlie Daniels - Callie had nothing to fear. She was free of her father, and the custody that he was eager to claim.

Daniel had found the girl of his dreams during a walk in Los Angeles, during the snow that shocked the state of California. It was truly rare, but a sight to see as everything was iced over and covered in a blanket of white. He happened to slip on a patch of ice, falling on top of the girl named Adrian. And from there, they clicked.

Aurora had taken up a modeling job for wedding dresses, and dragged Carmen along with her. But of course that only happened after Zach challenged her to an arm wrestling match over who could keep Carmen for the day. But of course, Aurora managed to win almost immediately after their elbows were placed on the table.

And Carmen, to her surprise, was able to reach her goal of purchasing all the Christmas presents she needed during the first week of December. That way, she wouldn't have to worry about the hassle of fighting everyone else over the last item of her list.

Which leads to the current date- Christmas day.

"I wasn't really sure what you'd like," Carmen hesitates as Zach stares down at the gift- still wrapped in the royal blue paper. "So I took a wild guess, and hopefully you'll like it."

"All I wanted was you," Zach shakes his head. "You didn't have to get me a gift."

"Neither did you, but here we are," Carmen comments, holding up the gift that he had given her earlier. Carmen hadn't opened it yet, as she wanted Zach to open his first.

"Touchè," Zach clicks his tongue. With a sigh, he rips the paper open, revealing a brown cardboard box. He then proceeds to open the box, his eyes lighting up at the sight of his new Timex watch.

"Do you like it?"

"How did you know?" Zach questions, his mouth agape. "Did Aurora tell you I was looking at this watch?"

"Maybe . . . " Carmen trails off, her cheeks growing red.

"I love you," Zach murmers, placing his hands on her cheeks as he stares into her eyes. "More than you'll ever know, Carmen."

"I think I have a pretty good idea," She smiles, placing a chaste kiss on his lips.

"Now open yours," He says. "I had some help picking it out."

"This better not be a prank if Aurora was the one helping you," Carmen chastises. "I've already had way too many run-ins with her firework bombs this month."

"Aurora did help me, but I promise I wouldn't bomb you. It's Christmas."

"Okay," She sighs, peeling at the wrapping paper. "Here goes nothing."

The box beneath the paper is black satin, and the size of a ring box. Carmen glances up at Zach, before opening the box. Inside lays a solid gold promise ring made in the shape of a princess crown. Diamonds are encrusted in it, sparkling perfect in the morning sunlight.

"Zach," Carmen gasps. "It's beautiful."

"So you like it?" He grins, flashing his pearly whites. "Thank God, Aurora picked it out with me and I wasn't sure if you'd like it."

"I love it," She exclaims, jumping into his arms after slipping it onto her finger. "Thank you!"

"Hey, guys!" Corbyn whispers excitedly, his head popping around the corner. "Come into the kitchen! Jonah's about to pop the question."

"Ooh!" Carmen jumps up, yanking Zach along with her. "Come on!"

The two enter the kitchen, Carmen's smile bright as she looks around her. Daniel, Adrian, Corbyn, Addilyn, Jack, and Callie all stand in a line beside each other at the wall of the kitchen, their hands clasped in their partner's. Carmen and Zach join them as Aurora jumps up to sit on the island.

"Why are all of you in here?" Aurora questions suspiciously, her eyes narrowing at the group. "Are you guys going to prank me for bombing your rooms last night?"

"No," Carmen answers for them. "We just thought we'd come to see you get your last Christmas present from Jonah."

"But I already opened them all," The brunette furrows her eyebrows, her eyes darting to Jonah. "What are they talking about, you sneaky little prune? What are you up to?"

"Well, if you insist to know," Jonah begins, shrugging as he steps forward with a smile. Dropping to one knee, he pulls a small black box from his back pocket.

Carmen's smile grows as Aurora gasps, placing her hands over her mouth. "Jonah, you didn't-"

"I've loved you since the day we met," Jonah says. "And despite all the times we've been kicked out of places, I've had the best time of my life with you, Aurora. I don't want anyone else, you little psycho. I love you. Now will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

Zach places his arm around Carmen's waist, leaning down to place a kiss on her forehead. "That's gonna be us one day," He says lowly.

Carmen blushes, watching as Aurora begins to slowly nod.

"Of course, you idiot!" She giggles, tears welling up in her eyes. "Who else do you think would put up with me? Of course I'll be your wife."

Jonah pulls her left hand away from her mouth, placing a chaste kiss on it before he slips the silver diamond ring onto her ring finger. Aurora jumps into his arms, sharing a kiss as the group begins to cheer.

"And now for the wedding planning," Callie chimes.

"Oh what fun we're gonna have," Adrian grins. "I can't wait for this."

"And neither can I," Carmen agrees, turning back to face Zach. "I love you."

"I love you more."

"That's impossible."

_____