Thirteen

Limang minuto rin ang itinagal ko sa loob ng banyo hanggang sa may kumatok na sa pintuan. I heard murmurs from voices I cannot decipher because of my sudden emotional outburst.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand before I let the faucet ran the water on my shaking palms.

And then out of all the voices from the other side, I heard a tone that seemed to be very familiar to me, albeit how much I hate it.

"Charisma, pakibukas naman 'yong pinto." His voice wasn't commanding or demanding, in fact in held a very caressing pleading front.

Napalingon ako sa pinto bago ko binalik ang tingin ko sa kamay ko. I found myself gathering all the strength I have before I managed to turn off the running water. I took some tissue out of the dispenser, sniffed back my tears, wiped the little smudges of my make-up, fixed my hair and then looked at my reflection.

There were faint knocks again at the door, followed by Cael's voice. "Charisma..." There were whispers after that.

I took a moment to collect myself and pulled off the fakest smile I could ever wear.

I strode to the door then gently turned the knob, revealing my colleagues gathered outside the restroom's door. Up in front and center was Cael, with his hand on the air, as if attempting to knock again.

I met all their eyes, and it broke my heart more to see the pity there. But I was able to shrug each one of it and continued to smile.

"Sorry, natagalan..." Then I chuckled. "Ano? Lahat kayo sabay-sabay na gagamit?" I joked.

But none of them went with my quip. There was a trace of confusion in the atmosphere before I walked pass them until I reached my cubicle.

Lahat sila nakalingon sa akin, ramdam na ramdam ko ang bigat ng titig nila pero binalewala ko. Nagsimula na akong magtrabaho kahit ilang na ilang ako.

Then as if on cue, boss emerged from the double doors and stood there with a baffled expression on his face.

"Anong ginawa niyo diyan sa harap ng banyo?"

Nagkatinginan silang lahat bago nagsibalikan sa kani-kanilang pwesto, ni isa sa kanila walang sumagot sa tanong ni Sir Ray.

Naiiling na lang na pumasok si boss sa opisina niya saka nagsimula ang maingay pero mahina na usap-usapan sa loob ng opisina.

No one dared to ask me again what just happened. Kahit sila Rhea, tahimik lang na nagkwekwentuhan.

Ilang beses kong naramdaman ang pagsulyap ni Cael sa akin pero umakto ako na hindi napapansin. I convinced myself that I was busy, but the truth was, my mind was completely in the gutter.

I heard Cael sighing heavily beside me until he finally lost it.

"Charisma." He called. His voice firm and serious.

Alam kong narinig iyon ng ilan sa mga katrabaho namin dahil pasimple silang napalingon sa gawi namin.

Nilingon ko siya at nginitian, "Op?" I answered nonchalantly.

His eyebrows furrowed, he was about to say something but Nicole cut him.

"Ay, Cael! Pa-help naman ako rito. May hindi kasi kami maintindihan, si Jenks kasi hindi pinaliwanag." Sabay haba ng nguso niya.

Sinakyan naman ni Jenks ang sinabi niya, "Busy kasi ako Nics, pero thanks Cael." Tugon nito sabay 'okay' sign.

Nicole pushed the documents in front of Cael. Wala na siyang nagawa. He seemed to have a hard time following what was happening. He looked at me one last time before flipping the pages of the inch-thick documents.