little bear

luke: age 8
michael: age 10

-

luke cried as he jumped up and down. his work out converse almost had enough, but he had to get his teddy bear back from the fifth graders that always picked on him.

they found him in the park across the street and he just wanted to walk home now.

he wasn't as tall as them, so they held it over his head.

"please! my mama gave that to me, and she won't be home for another month." luke cried, trying to reach again.

"we don't care." one of them said, and luke pouted.

luke wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, and his shoulders fell as he sobbed.

"aw, little luke wants his teddy bear." they teased in a baby voice.

luke sat on the gound, crying into his hands. he wanted his mom, and he wanted his bear.

"if you don't give him that bear right now, i will break every bone in all of your bodies." luke heard someone growl.

he turned around and saw his best friend, michael.

"mikey!" luke cried as michael helped him up.

luke hugged onto michael's torso as the older boy grabbed the bear from the boys that were picking on luke.

"don't ever pick on him again!" michael yelled as they walked away.

luke quickly grabbed the bear, holding it to his chest as michael held luke to his own.

"don't cry, luke." michael whispered.

"thank you, mikey." luke said softly, his tears soaking into michael's shirt.

"come on. i'll walk you home." michael said, kissing luke's head.

"will you stay and cuddle like we always do?" luke asked.

"of course i will." michael told him, and threw an arm over luke's shoulder as they walked the short distance back to luke's house.

"thank you, mikey." luke whispered.

"of course. you don't deserve that." michael whispered, kissing luke's head one more time.