trouble bubble

little luke

"lucas hemmings!" michael shouted from the kitchen

"yes daddy?"

luke walked in with his hands interlocked and his head cocked to the side. he looked up through his eyelashes, looking innocent as if he knew he was in trouble.

"while i was at work today, i got an alert on my phone saying somebody used my credit card to buy a $40 pink stuffed unicorn. you wouldn't know anything about that?" michael asked, sitting on a bar stool.

"what? no." luke said, leaning on the door frame.

"are you lying?" michael asked, and luke put his hands behind his back and shook his head quickly.

"alright. i'll just call the bank and tell them to send it back." michael said, and luke's eyes widened.

"but why? if it's already coming here than maybe we should just keep it." luke said softly and rocked back and forth on his feet.

"but it's not ours." michael said, and luke stayed quiet, trying to decide what to do.

he watched as michael pulled his phone out of his pocket, and typed on it.

michael wasn't actually calling the bank, but luke didn't have to know that.

"hi, yes this is michael clifford and i would like to talk to somebody about the stuffed animal that was just bought with my card..."

luke eyes filled with tears as he shook his head.

"...yes i think it needs to be sent back."

"no!" luke cried, and sat on the floor, crying with his head in his hands. "i ordered it! they only had one left and i just had to have it!"

michael sat his phone down, and sat in front of luke.

"and why didn't you ask first?" michael asked him.

luke sniffled and looked up at michael.

"i was afraid you would say no." luke whispered. "i'm sorry.."

michael pulled luke into his lap, and hugged him.

"i'm not mad at you. just ask me next time okay? you know better than to buy things without asking first." michael said, and luke shook his head.

"you already sent it back!" luke sobbed.

"i didn't actually call the bank, baby. just don't lie to me next time, okay?"

luke nodded, and held onto michael's shoulders.

"i love you, okay?" michael whispered as he rubbed luke's back.

"i love you too."