Confident

Twenty-Four.

"How've you been?"

"I've been good. W-what are you doing here?" I asked as we took a seat.

"Well I came to see you-"

"No. I know that, I mean why. Why now?"

"You've kept me away, it's not like I had choice."

"You clearly have one if your here now." I replied.

"Look Cai-"

I sighed.

"How's Selena been?" I said changing the topic.

"What?"

"How's Selena, Justin? Don't lie to me, just tell me the truth. We're friends, right?"

"Yeah, friends." He repeated with a displeasing tone.

My smile started to fade.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. Selena's fine I guess, I wouldn't know I haven't talked to her in a week now."

"You're both busy people. I knew you two couldn't be kept apart, it's like you guys belong together or are meant to be."

"Meant to be, huh?"

"Mhm. Whenever you hear her name, you get this look on your face that shows it."

"What look?"

I laughed,

"Don't deny it, you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Nah."

"Mhm."

"No."

"Yes!"

"It's not even like that."

"Me and her." He added.

"Why not? Feelings isn't mutual?"

"For the both of us? No, we thought so but it turns out, there was nothing there anymore."

I stayed quiet.

"So um, I've been meaning to ask you this. When are you coming home?"

"I'm not."

"Why not?"

"It's too soon. I'm not ready."

"So you're staying here?" He asked.

"No. I leave next Sunday." I replied.

"Where ya heading?"

"I'm not sure, yet."

"Wherever it is, make sure it's not far."

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to miss you."

"Justin, stop."

"Stop what?"

"Saying that."

"-You saying that doesn't change anything between us."

"Your the one that pushed me away, Cailin. I didn't push you away."

"You didn't need to."

"You can't get me back like this. I won't let you. You deserve better."

"I deserve you." He said.

I remained quiet.

"Cailin, I love you."

"Well I don't." I responded.

"I think it's best we remain friends. Okay? Can you handle that?"

"No. I can't. I can't be friends with you Cailin. You don't understand love do you? Love doesn't just go away just like that, I have feelings for you and you had the same before but ever since that dumbass move you made, you don't."

"Don't turn this around on me."

"It's always about you Cailin, right?"

"Why do people always leave, Cailin? It's because you push them away. And you won't learn to love until you stop. Your parents weren't the ideal couple for love so don't base your experience of love on the both of them, because that's not the definition. You jump from guy to guy, hoping they'll be the one but your not even the one for them!"

"Says the asshole sleeping around time from time with models and strippers every chance he gets to fucking get over, 'the most elegant bitch in the world'!" I shouted.

"Cailin!"

"What?" I asked as I turned back to see Dr. Smith.

"Everything alright out here?"

"Everything's fine, Justin was just leaving. You know how stars are, Dr. Smith. Once the fame gets to their head, you don't know who they are anymore." I said as I walked away.