Confident

Eleven.

My heart started beating fast.

Alex.

I haven't seen him in years.

I didn't think I'd ever see him again.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I needed to talk to you-"

"Don't you think it's a little late for that?"

"-You can't just show up like this and expect everything to be alright!"

"Look Cailin, I don't want any problems-"

"Good then don't cause any!" I replied back.

"I'm only here to talk." He added.

I looked over at Justin.

I could tell he look pissed off.

He knew everything I told him about Alex and none of it was good.

"Why now? After all these years, you think to can just come-"

"Leighton's dead."

I remained quiet.

"I'm sorry to hear that Alex, but what does Leighton being dead have to do with me?"

"I need your help." He pleaded.

"With Leighton gone, I don't have the financial support to raise our son."

"Have you considered getting a job?" Justin muttered under his breath.

"What happened to the job you had?"

"I quit. Someone had to stay home and take care of Jamie. Not all of us nineteen year olds have it easy like you guys do-"

"Look, Alex I'm sorry-"

"No, it's fine. I just thought you'd be the one person to understand and help but it's okay, I'll go."

"You know, I thought I'd never see the day you'd turn into one of them." He added and walked off.

"I can't believe that asshole thought he could just come here and except you to help him after everything he's done to you."

"I mean-"

"Alex!" I yelled as I ran to catch up to him.

"I'm gonna help you."

He smiled.

"Not for you. Only for Jamie, I know what's it like growing up without a mother and hardly having the support needed. He doesn't deserve that."

"Thank you Cail."

"Don't mention it." I started.

"-Uh, look. I have to go, but I'll call you and let you know if there any open jobs available with good pay."

"Alright, thanks again." He said turning around and continued walking.

"Alex, how did you find me?" I said as he stopped walking and stood.

"I told you, wherever you go, I'll always find you, Cailin."

And walked off.

I stood there.

Still.

I looked at him as he walked off.

Apart of me, misses him dearly.

To just see him again, it crushed me.

To remember everything.

You know what it feels like,

to love someone so much you can't

explain and no matter how many times

they screw up, you just look past all of

it and look beyond it and forgive.

But then you finally let go and you

feel so....

Free.

"Cailin?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because when Jamie grows up, he'll know that someone was there for him when his mother wasn't. Justin, I love you and I know your heart is genuine and you would do the same, but the only reason it's different now is because you don't like Alex and you feel he's a bad person that hurt me-"

"He is-"

"Although, if he didn't hurt me, I would've never met you."

"Everything happens for a reason, our life is written and told to by our actions, good and bad. I don't want my story, to have an unmeaningful ending."

"For a nineteen year old, you sure have a lot of wisdom."

"Being raised by my father, I should."

"Well, I don't like Alex. But I respect the fact you want to help. It just shows how much of a better person you are, Cailin Russo." Justin said grabbing me by the waist and hugged me from behind.

I smiled.

"Say my name, again."

"Cailin Russo." He whispered in my ear.

"Again."

"Cailin Russo."