Second Chance at First Line, Part IV

As I was sitting in my room later that night, I heard the front door open. I jump up, knowing Mom has to work late tonight too. I remember how Derek snuck into my brother's room last night. I grab the baseball bat from the hallway and hurry down the stairs, almost being plowed over by Stiles.
"Emerson!" he shouts, overly excited. He pulls me back up the stairs. I almost fall on the last step, but Stiles doesn't stop. He drags me to Scott's room and bombards him with questions. "What did you find? How did you find it? Where did you find it? And yes, I've had a lot of Adderall, so -"
"I found something at Derek Hale's," Scott says. When did Scott go to Derek's? And why didn't I know sooner? I'm literally right down the hall.
"Why didn't you tell me?" I demand, crossing my arms.
"Are you kidding me? What?" Stiles asks, completely ignoring me.
"You didn't seem like you wanted to talk to me," Scott says weirdly. Then, he turns to Stiles. "There's something buried there - I could smell blood."
"That's awesome!" Stiles cries. I look at him sideways and he meets my gaze. "I mean, that's terrible. Whose blood?"
"I don't know," Scott says, standing up. "But when we do, your dad nails Derek for the murder and then you help me figure out how to play lacrosse without changing because there's no way I'm not playing that game."
Scott drops his lacrosse stick on the bed and walks out after Stiles. I follow them downstairs and out the front door. I get stuck in the backseat of Stiles' Jeep because Scott takes the front. On the way, Scott and Stiles discuss the plan for Scott to sneak into the morgue at the hospital and see if the blood he smelled at Derek's matches that of the half of a body. After Stiles parks, we speed walk to the front door.
"Hey," Stiles says, pointing to a sign that says "MORGUE."
"Okay," Scott swallows.
"Good luck, I guess," Stiles offers.
"Don't get caught," I tell Scott, narrowing my eyes. "And if you do, Stiles and I were never here."
"Got it," Scott says, pushing open the door to the morgue.
Stiles and I walk around the corner and Stiles stops suddenly. I almost run into his back.
"What?" I ask and then I see Lydia sitting in one of the waiting chairs. What is she doing here? Then I remember - my brother seriously maimed her boyfriend. That's probably why she's here.
Stiles leans against the counter, covering his face.
"Oh my god," he whispers.
"We could sit somewhere else," I offer, raising my eyebrows.
"Nope," Stiles shakes his head.
"Suit yourself," I say, walking over and sitting in a chair a couple away from Lydia's. Something about how she talked to my brother in math today just rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, he attempted to murder her boyfriend, but he deserved it - kind of.
"Hey, Lydia," Stiles says loudly and I look up, surprised. "You probably don't remember me. Um, I sit behind you in Biology."
Lydia cocks her head and her hair falls perfectly so that I can see the small device in her ear. I mentally face palm and then try to get Stiles' attention. I wave my arms almost as spastically as he does when he gets worked up. He doesn't notice me, so I quit after a minute, embarrassed.
"Uh, anyway," Stiles continues. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to detach myself from him. "I always thought that we just had this kind of connection. You know, unspoken, of course. Maybe it'd be kind of cool to get to know each other a little better."
"Hold on," Lydia says, pulling back her hair. "Give me a second."
She pulls out the black device.
"Yeah, I didn't get any of what you just said," Lydia says to Stiles. "Is it worth repeating?"
"No, sorry," Stiles apologizes. "I'll just sit. You don't care."
"Okay," Lydia purses her lips awkwardly as Stiles comes and sits next to me.
"Smooth," I say.
"Shut up," he replies.
"Did he do it?" Lydia asks, standing up. I peer around the corner to see Jackson holding his shoulder. So I was right. She was here for the seriously maimed boyfriend.
"He said not to make a habit of it, but one cortisone shot won't kill me," Jackson responds.
"You should get one right before the game too," Lydia adds. "The pros do it all the time. You want to be a little high school amateur or do you want to go pro?"
Oh my god. I think Lydia Martin just told her boyfriend to shoot up steroids before the lacrosse game.
As I roll my eyes, I see a vision of gray feet with bite marks all over. I jump in my seat, shaking my head. Where are these visions coming from?
"Holy god!" Stiles says suddenly and I turn my attention to him. Scott had ripped a pamphlet out of his hand. When I saw what was written on the front, I almost burst out laughing. I should've paid a little more attention to the white pamphlet with "MENSTRUAL CYCLE" written across the front that Stiles was using as a disguise. I probably would've taken a million pictures and used them for blackmail.
"The scent was the same," Scott states.
"Are you sure?" Stiles asks, standing up. I stand too.
"Yes," Scott says.
"So, he did bury the other half of the body on his property?" Stiles asks.
"Which means we have proof he killed the girl," Scott concludes.
"And when your dad asks how you found this? You tell him what? That Scott's a werewolf and he used his super nose to sniff out the blood?" I ask.
"Sure," Stiles says. Scott rolls his eyes at us.
    "How?" he asks.
    "Tell me something first," Stiles demands. "Are you doing this because you want to stop Derek or because you want to play in the game and he said you couldn't?"
    "There are bite marks on the legs, Stiles - bite marks," Scott points out. I notice the fact that he avoided Stiles' question, but I don't call him out on it. I don't need to give him any more reason to be mad at me, possibly wolf out, bite me, and give me his rabies.
    "Okay," Stiles says. "Then, we're going to need a shovel."