Chapter 9

I open my eyes and there she is, standing by the window, wearing a beautiful white sundress that has me thinking how am I so lucky to have such a perfect creature by my side. The room is all white, filled with the rays of sun that are peeking through the windows. There's something in the air I can't put my finger on, but it makes me feel good, the atmosphere filled with her perfume, an amazing sweet mix of roses and her natural scent that I always found addictive, and in this exact moment my heart is overflowing with love for the beautiful woman standing in front of me.

- You can't keep us forever Lauren, you need to let go.

What the hell? What is she talking about.

- There are so many things ahead for you, so many wonderful things for your life, a life you need to live without me.

- Lucy, what the hell are you talking about? It's you and me against the world, you know it. I can't live without you. You're my life Luce, I love you.

- I know you love me, but you need to let go. Our love will always be one of a kind and will forever be locked safely in our hearts, but it's time you allow yourself to love somebody else.

- I..I... Luce, I can't, I won't. I can't love somebody else like I love you, I can't be with someone that's not you. They'll never be you.

- That's exactly it Laur, you can't keep looking for me in another person. The greatest thing about love is that it's an infinite source. I know you'll keep me in your heart, I'm keeping you in mine as well until we see each other again. But there's still so much room in your heart for love Lauren, to share those still empty slots of it with somebody else. You're still young and it'd be stupid to quit one of the greatest adventures in this life over someone who is no longer with you. You and I are not possible anymore.

Hearing her words is shattering my heart, I can't let her go. I stand up and start making my way towards her, she's still facing the window. Every step I take feels heavier, my heart is beating loudly in my chest and my anxiety rises as I try to reach her, but I can't. No matter if I'm running, it's like something is keeping me still in my place.

- No, Lucy wait. I love you and only you. Come back to me, please. – I shout still trying my best to reach her, the only thing I need right now is to hold her in my arms and never let her go, not again.

- Don't feel guilty when you fall, love. I won't get mad, I won't be jealous, actually, I'll be happy you moved on. I wish you the best, don't hold on to me any longer and let yourself live life to its fullest again.

She finally turns and our eyes lock one more time, she's smiling at me with that smile that always captivates my soul. I can't have enough of her, she is the most beautiful creature on this Earth. Her eyes are filled with love and she takes a few steps until she's mere inches away from me. With both of her hands, she cups my tear strained cheeks and lets her thumb wipe them away. It feels amazing, but I don't want to close my eyes and risk not seeing her face again. But somewhere deep inside me it feels that this is our last conversation, until God knows when. I gently lean in and give her a sweet, loving kiss.

She smiles, and when she smiles I smile.

- I love you Lucia Vives, I'll always love you.

I cup her checks, trying to hold on to this moment forever and safely lock it in my memory.

- Lauren.... – she whispers ever so softly, the pad of her thumbs drawing little circles on my cheeks.

- Please stay Luce.

- I'll see you around, love. Let go.

And she starts slowly to move away from me.

- Just a few more minutes... Lucy please. – I try to reach her with my hands and embrace her one more time, but her figure starts to disappear, just as if she was made of sand and the wind is taking her away from me.

- NO.. NOO! LUCY! LUCY STAY!

- Lauren. – another soft whisper.

- LUCIA!!!!!

- Lauren, Lauren!! Wake up babe! – A soft voice speaks to me.

I feel her shaking me, and I open my eyes. My vision is blurry but I can tell, by the voice calling me out that it's Camila. My heart is jumping against my chest, I can feel tears on my cheeks and I'm covered in sweat. And just like that, she's gone. Lucy's gone again.

- NO!.... NO! Camila what the hell!? – I yell at her, shoving her off me and standing up. – Why the fuck did you wake me up?!

- Laur.. wha...

- NO! She was here! She was with me! WHY THE FUCK DID YOU WAKE ME UP!?

I'm full on yelling at Camila, even if I know it's not her fault, I can't help but feel angry right now. She's just standing in front of me, eyes filled with tears and an expression I can't seem to identify. I fall to the ground and bring my knees to my chest and hide my face in them, crying for the first time in what feels forever. Loud sobs escaping my mouth and all I can think of is Lucy, what she said to me.

Suddenly I feel Camila's arm embracing me.

- It's okay Lo, you're fine. Just let it all out... - Camila says while rubbing my back and whispering in my ear.

I don't know how long it's been, just the two of us. She's pressing me gently against her chest while I let go the last of my sobs. We haven't spoken a word, in this moment all I need is her arms around me and she knows it.