Chapter 18

We're all at Cody's place for Zach's birthday party. A nice beach house (coughs mansion coughs) where the guys and I spend our free days at. There's always cold beer, it's a sin to let that one pass.

Cody is one of those dudes who's got a ton of money from some inheritance but he's not a douche about it. He says he'll use it someday but for now he keeps his life pretty simple. He loves his job as a videogame developer and his girlfriend Sam is the nicest girl you'll ever meet. The girl's a vet for crying out loud!

Those two are a great couple.

When he offered Camila to throw Zach's birthday party at his place she was hesitant. She told me she didn't want to come off as someone who's only friends with Cody for his money. I assured her that will never be the case. Cody is just Cody, and I love him.

So here we are, we've got some great music, friends and family hanging around the pool, we've got the grill going and some drinks because, let's face it, when you throw a first birthday party it's more of an excuse to throw a party with your friends and take some cute pics of your little one. They won't even remember it for Christ sakes!

At least that's what I told Camila, she still doesn't seem to get it.

– Hey Camz, – I tell her, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and resting my chin on her shoulder. She's chopping some veggies for one of those weird salads she loves.

But I can feel she's tense. That poor cucumber, ouch. LJ junior ain't happy watching that.

– what's wrong? Why don't you go relax a little bit with our friends? I'll handle this. – she sighs, putting the knife aside.

– I don't know, I can't. I want everything to be perfect and everyone to enjoy themselves.

I turn her around so she's facing me, I know that's not it so I'll have to be insistent.

– Caaamz, – I use a warning tone, – tell me what's on your mind.

– ugh, – she rests her face on my chest and mumbles, – gurg is min anytum.

– what? Can you say that again? – I ask between giggles, rubbing her back to help with her nerves a bit. She sighs and faces me again.

– George is coming anytime now. I don't know how I feel about it.

At the sole mention of Ruesca's name my blood boils. I forgot she told her it was okay to come. Fucking asshole.

But I need to keep calm. We're all here for her and Zach and I need to remind her of that.

– I told you, we're all here for you. Your family's here, our friends. I'll keep an eye on him, he won't be able to do anything stupid.

– That's exactly the problem! You're all here. You all hate the guy, how uncomfortable will that be huh? He just wants to meet his son! I don't want you guys to make it seem like a witch hunt or something. – she's pacing around the kitchen again, at least she's letting all out right?

That fucking tool doesn't deserve your kindness..

– Well I already talked to everyone and we agreed to keep it chill. Don't worry. – I grab her by her arm and force her to stop her movements. She's facing me again. With my free hand I tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear, – everything will be fine Camz... you could always tell him we're not home and cancelled the party tho. If he comes knocking we'll turn the music off and hide.

She laughs, and shoves me playfully.

– I love you, you jerk, – Camila hugs me again, and I know she just needed to rant a bit to feel better, – I don't know what I'd do without you here.