Chapter LI: Comic Relief

~Liam’s Point of View~

“She has all the time you want.” The doctor said. It was quiet before, but now it was just… it was awful. Not even sobs were heard.

“Mum…” I whispered. I looked up from my hands to see her crying silently on Derek’s shoulder. It is truly heart-breaking to see your mum cry. “Please…” I whispered through my tears. Danielle hugged my shoulders tightly and laid her head on my chest. Soon, I felt her tears streaming through the fabric of my shirt.

“I will let you see her now, but please don’t crowd over her.” The doctor said. I didn’t wait for anyone and just ran into the room behind him before anyone could follow.

“Oh my beautiful Banannie…” I cried to her hair. She had a tube that looked like a hook, hanging from the corner of her mouth and connected somewhere on the other side of the bed to some machine. She was filled with needles and tubes all over her body and it broke my heart seeing her like this. I guess it was new, which was even worse, but she now had a tube leading from the square hole in the blanket to somewhere I didn’t follow. I noticed just how deep into the blanket it went, without creating a bulge under it, which meant it was inside her stomach. I cringed in pain from the thought. The heart monitor beeped constantly in the background as I tried to contain my tears. “Annie, if you can hear me… I really need you to show it.” I cried. “Please don’t give up. I know you’re strong enough to fight this. I know you can do this. You can win this, Annie. Please don’t leave me, us. Move your finger, your head, your eyes… Annie, please just do something.” I held onto her hand tightly. Well, without breaking whatever tubes were stuck in her veins. It was so short and almost unnoticeable that I had to rethink about it about five times, but I finally realised what happened; she moved her finger, even if it was just a spaz. I laughed loudly and I felt mental, but I didn’t give a damn. She moved.

“Liam?” Louis asked and walked towards me cautiously.

“She… moved.” I said with the biggest smile I ever made. Louis ran towards Annie and held her other hand in expectation. Soon enough, she had another spaz, more visible and noticeable now. We both looked at each other and laughed, completely mental.

“Oh my Danny!” Louis shouted out with a huge smile. The doctor came in, followed by Mum and Derek.

“She moved!” I yelled out with a huge grin. The doctor came closer to Annie and took the hand I was holding in his. Soon, she bent her finger completely and then released. Everyone in the room let out a huge sigh of relief and Mum blew her nose on a tissue.

“We are going to examine her now, if you would kindly step out.” The doctor instructed. Louis looked up at him with tears filling in his eyes. I could see how much it killed him to leave Annie now after she finally responded to something. “This should take not more than a few minutes.” The doctor assured Louis, who huffed and kissed her hand lightly and left the room after Mum and me. Derek followed Louis and we were all in the waiting room again, happily filling everyone in on the news.

“This is incredible…” Harry said with a huge smile.

“I told you she is strong.” Kelsey smiled triumphantly.

“She is.” Louis said with a grin.

“I guess you better get a ring now, Lou.” Kelsey joked. I shot my head up at him and watched as he blushed to a whole new shade of red.

“What?” I asked confused.

“You see…” Kelsey started to say with a devious smile. “Louis here promised to marry your beloved sister, because he was jealous of your mum.” Everyone in the room, but Louis, Mum, and me – laughed.