Chapter XII: Missed the Chance?

~Diana’s Point of View~

I’m adopted. Everything I knew and grew to love… isn’t mine. I don’t have a brother for all I know. My name, for all I know, could be whatever name in the world. I was a mistake and shouldn’t have been born. But it’s all going to be okay now, because I am going to fix this whole mess. I am going to fix the mistake of being born.

My heart was pounding so fast and my head spun due to the high I was at. Tower Bridge seemed like the best place to jump from. My head was screaming for another chance and my heart was screaming Louis’ name.

I turned my phone off and took a deep breath. The wind was breezing lightly and the clouds were huddling over the London skies with their grey and white colours. All of my tears have now dried off completely. I heard tyres screeching rushing towards me and with that, not knowingly, they made me hurry. I let go of my strong grip of the bridge and flew into the water. The fall seemed to have last forever until I hit the water. Stupidly, I bent my knees, thus preventing the crash. Nonetheless, I swallowed the water and struggled underneath. I fell deep and with the lack of light and oxygen, it was painfully hard to tell whether I went to the water line or deeper within the blue abyss.

I felt my hands touch the dry air of autumn and soon after; I threw my nose up and out of the water, but it was too much all at once for me. I just… had to… give… up.

The next thing I knew, I was carried away by a strong arm around my waist. I couldn’t tell who it was, nor did I care. It wasn’t long before I felt strong impulses against my ribs. The force of them was so strong that they cracked, but I was petrified. I couldn’t move. They stopped.

“It isn’t your time, dearie. You belong here, with everyone you love. Come back to them.” I heard a sweet voice cooing in my water-filled ear. I gasped for air and gagged out all the water in my lungs, suddenly able to see the scene around me: Niall, Harry, Zayn, and Louis were all shocked to see me. Louis was dripping water, so I assumed he was the one to pull me out of the water. He threw himself at me, causing so much pain… why was he so happy?

“Ow, Louis!” I whined. He looked so relieved to hear my voice. But wait, where’s Liam? We all got off the boat and walked (I was carried) to the limousine.

“We need to get you to a hospital. Just lay down, love. Close your eyes, I’ll wake you up when we get there.” Louis said and cooed in my ear. I couldn’t really resist, so I just placed my head on my hand and leaned on the window, avoiding everyone’s looks. Louis pulled me closer to him and forced my head gently to his lap as he stroked my wet hair. Why was he being so nice?

“Danny, Danny, love.” Louis spoke softly, only to wake me up to a very different scene: I was in a hospital room, all coloured white. My stomach was wrapped with some bandage and my mind was foggy. “You’re alright, oh Danny… my Danny…” he took my hand in his and kissed it with great force to it, fearing it will slip away. “Danny, please don’t leave me again. Please…” he whispered and tears started to stream down his eyes.

“I… I’m sorry…” I whispered and shut my eyes as tight as I possibly could; hoping to disappear forever.

“Danny, I really have to tell you something.” My eyes snapped open, which hurt my head greatly from the lights. I turned my head towards him, but just then, the doctor I already knew came in. Louis mumbled something under his breath that I didn’t quite catch.

“Miss Payne, glad to see you’re alright. I have a few questions for you, if you wouldn’t mind?” I nodded slowly and looked back at the now pissed Louis. “What happened?” Shit.

“She went for a swim at our pool and just swallowed water, but I got no response when I tried to give her a CPR.” Louis quickly barged in. Why would he lie? Did he really give me a CPR? So his lips… they touched mine. I felt all warm inside, but no smile was shown.