Chapter XVI: Just Ruin Everything

“Hey, Annie, we’re going to get something to eat before we head back to the hotel, okay?” Liam said as the five sweaty boys came backstage to the background cheers of the Irish fans. I nodded quietly, still startled about the recording studios thing.

“Before you go…” I heard Uncle Simon behind the couch I was sitting on. Every hair on my neck was now standing ready to hear him tell the boys about the studios. “Diana here needs to be at this address tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock, sharp.” I didn’t watch any of the conversation that was going on, but I am guessing he handed Liam a note or something with the address.

“What’s that all about? Why would she come to a recording studio?” I heard Zayn ask. Oh Zayn… you were drunk when Niall gave me the dare, weren’t you?

“It’s about time!” I heard Niall exclaim cheerfully and he made his way to hug me. Honestly, I was too shocked to push his sweaty self away from me, and it caused everyone in the room around me to be curious about my odd behaviour.

“Erm… okay. I’ll take her myself.” Liam said, but clearly, he wasn’t really content about this whole idea.

“You better, Liam; she needs it.” Simon warned and placed a firm hand on my shoulder. I cringed under his touch and he left the room. Aaaaannnndd… cue the awkward silence and stares!

“So I know a really good restaurant nearby, should we head there right now?” everyone agreed to Niall’s suggestion and we left. This whole time, I didn’t say a single word.

“I’m not hungry, thanks.” I said when it was my turn to order. “But I’ll take some water, please.”

“Diana?” the waiter asked with a very familiar voice. I finally looked up to see who it was and sure enough – it was Connor!

“Connor?” I replied in the same way, completely ignoring the five curious boys. “I didn’t know you work here.”

“Well, I would’ve told you if we had the chance…” he laughed his oh-so-charming laugh and I smiled in return.

“Ah… yes, that was very… erm…” I didn’t think of any words to describe the moment we met. “I would’ve texted you earlier, but –“

“No, it’s okay. I couldn’t have replied anyways, since I have work here till… oh. You blokes are my last table!” It almost seemed like we were completely alone in the restaurant until Liam made a coughing noise. I kicked Liam’s shin under the table, but accidentally ended up kicking Niall, who seemed very startled with this.

“Sorry…” I mouthed him. “Do you live in the hotel, then?” I asked Connor, obviously ignoring everyone’s impatient looks.

“Yeah, for the time being until I can get enough money for a flat.” Wow… it almost seemed weird how some people actually work for their money and not just… well… get it.

“Then I’ll see you tonight, hopefully.” I smiled at him and dismissed him to fetch our order.

“Who was this?” Louis asked, obviously irritated.

“His name’s Connor. I met him at the hotel earlier when I… well… ran into him. Literally.” Niall laughed, but one glance at Louis’ unsatisfied expression completely erased his amusement.

“I don’t like him…” Liam muttered and I just gave him a “seriously?” look. He didn’t even give him a chance! Not that I will ever have a chance with him, but still! “He’s… he’s… he’s not for you.” I rolled my eyes and sat deeper in my section of the booth’s seat. Louis huffed next to me and mimicked my actions, while Liam raised his hands in surrender.