Chapter XIV: Make a Difference, Cause a Problem

Fans were waiting just outside of the airport, waving banners and phones to attract the boys’ attention.  Most of the fans wanted Niall’s attention (shocker! *note the sarcasm), but those who were trying to get all of the group’s attention didn’t really care much for me, so I just sat on a bench nearby and waited until they finish or until security decides it’s too much (whichever comes first).

“Ex-e-e-xcuse me? Are you D-D-D-D-iana?” a girl, maybe 13, came towards me with extreme caution, like she didn’t know if I was “off limit” or just not a people’s person or whatever. I smiled at her and walked off the bench. She seemed really unsure of herself so I decided to make her feel better.

“Yes, it’s me. What’s your name, love?”

“Ch-Ch-Ch-ristie.” was she nervous about meeting me?

“What’s wrong, love?” I knelt in front of her so that I could meet her beautiful green eyes, since she stared at the floor.

“N-n-n-nothing… I just really like you. I th-th-th-think p-p-p-people on tw-tw-twitt-t-tt-ter are really mean to you, but they’re wr-wr-wrong, because you’re amazing.” I was speechless. This is the first time a fan or anyone, really, has ever said something like to me. She was toying with her wrists restlessly and that’s when I noted her many bracelets. Her wrist was covered entirely but for peeks and glimpses of skin, though those glimpses of skin that were showing – were either freshly cut of silvering.

“Sweetheart, why would you ever do this to yourself?” I grabbed her hand, despite her efforts to resist. I just couldn’t let anyone (especially so young), do this to themselves. I, however, was a different case; I deserved it.

“I…” she didn’t seem to be able to respond without bursting into tears.

“Have you met the boys yet?” I asked her, trying to relieve the tension a bit. She shook her head and pointed at the swarms of fans that were mercilessly huddling around the boys. “Come with me, I’ll take you to see them personally.” She beamed and for the first time since I met her – she raised her chin above the floor.

“Danny, hi!” Louis smirked at me in between signing and pictures.

“Lou, I want you to meet my new friend, Christie. She would like it if you took a picture with her and sign her…” I totally forgot about the fact she didn’t have anything for them to sign. “Here, they’ll sign this for you.” I handed her a copy of the newly released Take Me Home album and she practically jump at me to hug me, but when she realised what she did, she apologised and looked back at the ground.

“Gladly, any friend of Danny’s is a friend of mine. Tell me, love, what’s your twitter?” Louis asked her while hugging her. She gave him her twitter name and he followed her while telling everyone else to do the same. Christie’s smile was now indubitably the largest she’s ever smiled. She earned 6 new followers that day, and a new friend (me). Yes, I personally gave her my phone number.

“Just don’t give it to anyone else, okay?” she nodded vigorously, clearly too happy to speak. Security came rushing everyone to disperse away and the boys gladly tagged along with the guards.

“Diana, you saved my life. Thank you.” She whispered in my ear as I hugged her one last time. I didn’t respond when I was dragged away from her.

“So how’s your new friend?” Louis asked me as we climbed into the limousine. I didn’t answer. I was too stunned to reply. I saved someone’s life. I saved a 13 year old girl’s life. “Danny, are you okay?” Liam now looked at me worriedly. I nodded slowly, still not being able to open my mouth to speak. My phone buzzed twice and I slowly checked the two messages I received. One was a twitter notification from Christie, and the other was Louis’ text message.