····The Hacker····

····The Hacker····

I heard a knock at the basement door and I looked up from my marathon of Saw movies. I stepped out of bed and into my slippers and shuffled to the door.

"Coming~~" I slurred. When I opened the door, I immediately smelled the musty rain and the outdoor smell. I looked up to see Holly standing in front of me and her eyes to the floor.

"Hun, can you come out for a second?" she asked. I stared at her with strange eyes. She sounded so... scared.

"Sure," I said and she led me to the white, floral couch. I sat down next to her and she placed her hand over mine. I glanced at her and a tear fell down on her lap. My eyes narrowed. "Did someone die?"

She looked up with dumbfounded eyes and shook her head. "What... Why would you think that?"

"I dunno," I shrugged. "Maybe because I haven't seen you cry like that in probably 10 years when Uncle Sul died, so I just figured." I said. Holly laughed and looked up at the ceiling.

"I just thought... I couldn't hide it anymore," she muttered. I stared at her strangely. Hide what? Did she get fired? Was she pregnant? Did she get re-engaged? Whatever it was, it brought her to tears. My Aunt Holly with the steel heart was crying. She turned to me and sniffed. "Your parents are coming home tomorrow."

I gasped. I hated my parents. They abandoned me. They decided that they loved their coffee business over their own child. What bull shit. Thank god Molly 'adopted' me and gave me a place to stay. My parents visited me from time to time, but it was not meaningless conversation. How's school? Have you thought about college? How about taking over the business? Are you causing Holly any trouble?

And that was all.

"And that is useful to me because...?" I asked. Molly's mouth twitched into a frown.

"You know I love you a lot, right, Charlie?" she asked. I nodded. "And you know that I don't want you to get hurt, okay?"

"That's very suspicious behavior you're displaying, Holly." I said. She chuckled and squeezed my hand. "Do you have something you want to tell me?"

She nodded. I sighed heavily and leaned back. "Okay, hit me. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle." I said. That's right. Not even at Uncle's funeral did I cry. I just didn't understand. Everyone dies at some point and for some people, its more tragic. Even so, I don't cry at such things.

I bit my lip. But I did cry when I argued with Jason. I didn't want to cry, but the way he said those things to me... Like he was abandoning himself. I didn't want him to quit. I wanted to finish this case together, with him. I felt tears form when I thought of him and I choked them back. Right now, it was Holly's time.

She took a deep breath and clutched at the hem of her shirt. "Your parents... They aren't your real parents." she said. I held my breath.

".............W.......What?" I said with a chuckle. It was humorless. She was joking right? Someone please get her head on straight. "You're kidding, right?" Holly shook her head and kept her head low. "Then who are my real parents? Am I an orphan?" I asked. Oh god. Another factor that makes me a freak. Holly glanced at me and tear fell.

"When I was 16, I got pregnant with your uncle Sul," she said. My breath got hacked and all I could do was stare at her.

Ah...

I see where this is going.

"At the time, I was so caught up in school and since your mother already had a job and had graduated college... She was so much experienced than I was and she was doing so well in life... Your mother also wanted a child too but--"

"Wait," I interrupted her. She looked up with a fearful face. "So... you gave me up? You abandoned me?"

"No! Of course not!" Holly announced. "When I finished school, I planned to tell you that I was your real mother, but... you looked so happy with them... You looked like you truly wanted to be with them. Whenever I came to visit, you never really paid attention to me. It was like you despised me. It broke my heart every time. I wanted to shout, 'Its me, Charlie! Your real mother! I've come to take you back!'" Holly said. She was pouring out tears. I just stared at her with a blank stare. "But your mother said she really did love you and you loved her." she said.

"Not anymore, that's for sure." I said under my breath.

"Then you turned 14 and your mother and father took on that coffee business. You said you didn't want to move, so I offered to take care of you. I was so happy I saw an opportunity to get closer to you," she said. "But you continued to shut me out. I didn't even know why."

"Because you weren't my legal guardian?" I snarked. I guess that was a bit harsh, but it was true. At the time, I didn't trust anybody. Holly frowned and I stood up. "Your sob story meant nothing. All you had to tell me was that you were my real mother and was too immature to take care of me." I turned and looked away from her. "I guess you want me to say something like, 'oh yay, now that I know you're my real mother, I'll just forget the lies that were told for the past 17 years,' am I right?" I asked. Holly shook her head and sniffed.

"I can tell that you must be pretty mad at me right now, and I can understand that. I can understand if you want to yell, or hit me, or even ignore me, and I'll be okay with that too." she said. I sighed sharply. Jeezus, this woman was such a pushover.

"Really? Then I'll do just that." I said and made my way back to the basement without giving Holly a second look. When I locked the door, I threw a tantrum. I flipped over my couch, ripped apart my pillows, and drank all of the Red Bulls inside of my mini-fridge just to tell everyone to 'fuck it.'

I was mad.

Mad at Jason for suddenly deciding to become a pussy and wimp out on this case halfway through it. I was mad at Holly for not telling me that she was my real mom for 17 years. And I was mad at this fucking murderer who dragged me into this in the first place. God, if only people didn't have such heartless souls.

Wow, I am really mean to my characters. More importantly, who else here has exams? Ugh, kill me.

Anyways, VOTE as always if you're completely done with fucking school. I just took the math state test and holy shit, kill me now.

COMMENT if you're laying down right now if you're slacking off in class and not doing your math hOMEWORK YOU LITTLE BIT--

I'm sorry. I lost my cool. Please forgive this author.