Ch. 34: The Menacing One

"Harum. Harum!" I woke up with the sound of my mother's sweet voice.

"Good morning, mom."

"Good morning. Come on, let's have our breakfast," she said then pulled up from my bed.

It was always my mother. She wokes me up everytime. Loves me unconditionally. That is why I have lived my eighteen years of existence full of love.

But after our eighteenth birthday, my Mother died. T'was one of the saddest moment of my life. For a woman who loved me unconditionally, left me.

I was sad. But not until the day. Claire came, and flipped my life, our life in a blur.

"Claire. Mahal kita. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I-i'm sorry, Harum."

"P-pero bakit? Dahil ba sa kanya?"

"I love him, Harum. I love Baron."

"Pero hindi ka niya mahal."

"I don't care! Hindi ko naman hihingilin na mahalin niya 'ko. Ang gusto ko lang naman, malaman niya."

"Nandito naman ako, Claire. Ako na lang. Please, just give a chance," and I pleaded. Down on my knees as pleaded for her love.

"I'm sorry, Harum. But I can't and I won't."

It was the most painful words I heard from her... She won't.

That killed me, even before I killed her.

"Claire... Please don't do this to me. Claire! No! Please wake up. Please."

It was the darkest night of my life.

Claire died. Claire died, saving him.

He saved Baron, leaving me alone.

"You are selfish, Baron. Na sa 'yo na ang lahat. But why do you have to take Claire, also. Siya na lang ang meron ako, Baron." I was crying.

I know she loved him. But why can't it just be me?

"I-I did not know, Harum. A-alam mong wala akong balak na agawin siya sa 'yo."

"But you still did. Mahal mo siya, hindi ba? Dahil kung hindi, hahayaan mo lang siya. Hahayaan mo siyang mapunta sa 'kin!"

"Pero mali ang gusto mo, Harum. Hindi niya gustong sumama sa 'yo. And you can't force her."

"But now she's dead. How can I ever be with her?"

"You killed her, Harum."

"N-no..."

"You did. You just killed the woman you love."

"No!"

"No!"

I-it was not my fault. It was Baron, who should've died that night and not Claire. Not my Claire.

"Please come back to me, Claire! Claire!"

'Isa kang pangahas, tao. Nagawa mo akong gambalin!'

"Gagawin ko ang lahat para muling mabuhay si Claire. Kahit agawin ko pa lahat ng gift sa mundo, gagawin ko."

'Hindi ako papayag!'

"Pero wala ka nang magagawa!"

I remembered all those memories I had with her, as I consumed her gift.

I stole it. Yes, I did.

And I will steal everyone's gift if I have to, until I see her again.

"I promise, we will be together again, Claire. I promise," I whispered as I kissed her tombstone.