We Know

Though what she heard from Alexanders office picked her interest.

"You don't even know what you're asking me to confess!"

Alessia stopped in her tracks and glanced at the door to her brother's office.

"You have nothing! I don't have to prove anything at all!", she heard Alexanders voice, he seemed clearly agitated by whoever he was talking to.

"Unless...", Alexander mumbled, before he continued "If I can prove that I've never broken the law, promise that you won't tell another soul what you saw."

"No one else was in the room where it happened," a new voice spoke up, which Alessia recognized as the voice of Aaron Burr. "Is that a yes?", Alexander asked suspiciously. A collection of "Yes," came from the others and she recognized those as James and Thomas.

Alessia heard shuffling on the other side of the door and seconds later it opened. Alexander froze in the door and the siblings stared at each other for a moment. Then Alexander pushed past her and headed down the hall to go get something.

Alessia frowned a little, before inviting herself into the room. She had to know whatever it was that Alexander messed up now.

"Alessia, love, what are you doing here?", Thomas asked with a frown and headed towards his fiancée. Thomas and Aaron looked over at the couple, also a little confused at Alessias appearance.

"Alessia, leave, this is nothing to concern you," Alexander spoke up as he stepped into the room, leaving the door open for Alessia to leave.

Alessia frowned at her brother and headed to the door, closing it, before she crossed her arms and said "I'll find it out anyways as soon as I'm home so why not find out right away?" The siblings glared at each other for a few seconds, before Alexander handed Aaron a letter.

"Dear Sir, I hope this letter finds you in good health and in a prosperous enough position to put wealth in the pockets of people like me, down on their luck. You see, that was my wife you decided to-" Aaron was interrupted by Thomas "What?"

Alessia stared at her brother in disbelief, trying to find any words. She couldn't. She was speechless.

"She courted me, escorted me to bed and when she had me in a corner, that's when Reynolds extorted me, for a sordid fee, I paid him quarterly. I may have mortally wounded my prospects, but my papers are orderly!", Alexander then began to explain himself. Alessia though felt as if that was just useless.

"As you can see I kept a record of every check in my checkered history. Check it again against your list and see consistency. I never spent a cent that wasn't mine. You sent the dogs after my scent, that's fine! Yes, I have reasons for shame, but I have not committed treason and sullied my good name. As you can see I have done nothing to provoke legal action, are my answers to your satisfaction?"

Silence hung in the room for a moment, until Thomas was the first to find his voice "My god." He glanced over at Alessia, who seemed absentminded. "Gentlemen, lets go," James then spoke up and began to head towards the door, Thomas following suit, Aaron a little ways behind.

"So?", Alexander asked and raised a brow towards them. They replied "The people won't know what we know."

James opened the door and Thomas stopped shortly beside his fiancée. "Alessia?", he softly asked, to which she said "We'll see each other at home. I need to have a word with Alexander."

Thomas nodded and kissed her forehead, before leaving the room behind Aaron. The door closed.

"It seems to me like I didn't even have to explain to you what a whore was, Alexander, since you've made use of one yourself," Alessia spoke up, her voice cold. She was angry at her brother.

"Shut it, Alessia. I didn't ask for this to happen," Alexander replied, to which Alessia let out a laugh and shot back "Well and yet it did. I've never thought you to cheat on the best thing that's ever happened in your life and let yourself be blackmailed with it. You're truly disappointing me, Alexander."

"Al...", Alexander tried softly, looking at her with a hurt expression, but she shook her head and said "No, Alexander. You have no right to call me that anymore. I really loved you, Alexander, but you've ruined all of this yourself. I'm disappointed in you."

"Please, I-", Alexander began, only to be cut off by her "Let me give you one last advice. Don't do anything you'll regret."

That said, Alessia left the room and headed to the one she had occupied, gathering the last things she owned, before she headed downstairs and into the living room, where the children and Eliza were gathered.

"Frances, darling, I'm heading home. Don't come back too late," Alessia smiled and kissed her daughter's head, Frances grinning back at her and saying "Have fun," but with a certain tone that made Philip burst out laughing. Alessia chuckled and shook her head "Philip, you make sure that Frances gets home safe, I'm counting on you. Or you'll end up being my least favorite nephew."

Philip saluted and said "Yes ma'am!" Alessia hugged Eliza goodbye before she left the Hamilton estate and got onto her carriage that took her home.

When she stepped inside, she was met by Sally, who took her things and brought them upstairs, after telling her where Thomas was. He sat in the living room and James was accompanying him.

"I'm home," Alessia softly spoke up as she stepped into the room, shortly interrupting Thomas and James in their conversation. She took her seat beside Thomas on the couch, who wrapped his arm around her waist and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"What did you two talk about?", Thomas asked her curiously, to which she replied "I told him that he better not do something he'll regret. And that I'm disappointed. And that I had no need to explain to him what a whore meant, after he had called me that a few days ago."

"He called you a whore?", James asked surprised and she felt Thomas tense up a little. Alessia nodded and said "He claimed how I was just another mistress on Thomas' never ending list. I explained to him what exactly a whore actually was. But now I know he didn't need that."

"I guess we'll see how it goes on now," Thomas said.

"I hope he does nothing stupid."