Dear Sir

Thomas wrapped his arms around Frances and held her tight, whispering "I'll find her. I promise."

Days passed. Every day, Thomas went out together with James and Aaron and searched for Alessia. He even ended up stooping so low to ask Alexander for help. And every day they ended up coming home empty handed.

Frances was an emotional wreck. During this time, she stayed at the Hamiltons, as the presence of Eliza, Angelica and the kids got her thoughts off of the current events. Philip was being her emotional support.

With every day that passed, Thomas got more and more devastated and desperate. How the hell could it be that they still haven't found Alessia? She couldn't be that far away, could she? But then, for all they knew, she could be on a ship on its way to god knows where.

Thomas was in the living room of his home. It was late in the evening and he had just returned with James from his search for Alessia. Aaron and Alexander had already gone home a little earlier.

He was pacing up and down, trying to think of any other possibilities there were. Where could she be?

"Thomas, please calm down. You need some rest," James said from the doorway, in which he leaned with crossed arms. Thomas sighed and said "I can't, you know that."

"She'll return. I bet she will. Alessia is a tough woman to crack, she's tougher than her brother even and she didn't fight in the revolutionary war. Reynolds won't be able to break her," James said, in hopes to calm Thomas down a little.

"You need to sleep," James added after a moment of silence. Thomas finally stood still, before he fell into his armchair and put his head in his hands and saying "You know I can't. I can't sleep when I don't know her safe!"

"I know. And I understand. But you can't possibly continue searching for her when you're on the verge of a physical and mental breakdown," James stated.

"But what if-" Thomas began, only to be interrupted by James "No. Thomas, you go to your room and get some sleep. Until you have gotten at least a good night of sleep, I won't let you out of this house to search for Alessia."

Thomas looked over at James, defeated. He let out a weak chuckle and asked "I guess I have no other choice now, do I?" James smiled a little and shook his head "No. Now go to bed."

Thomas sighed and got to his feet, trudging over towards the door so he could get to the stairs. Halfway there though, he collapsed. James quickly rushed over and caught him before he hurt himself on the way down.

"Thomas, how much sleep did you get the past weeks?", James asked, helping Thomas to stand straight. Thomas chuckled and said "Barely a few hours. Guess I messed up, haven't I?"

James sighed and said "I'll get you to bed. You're unbelievable, Thomas, really." He slung Thomas' arm around his shoulders and started to head towards the stairs. He should've known how weak Thomas was. He should've handled earlier.

"I just can't sleep without dreaming of her. So many things happen in my dreams, so many bad things that Reynolds could be doing to her, that keep me up at night. I'm so scared, James. I love this woman so much and who knows where she is now? I messed up..."

"No you didn't. Alessia is a strong woman, she's as independent as possible. She is as stubborn as you can be narcissistic. No offense," James said and Thomas let out a laugh "None taken."

"Alessia will be fine. Believe me. I wouldn't wonder if Reynolds is on the verge of just voluntarily giving her back because he can't handle such a woman like her."

Thomas smiled at James' words, but then his smile began to falter as he said "Who knows how many times he maybe raped her by now. Or beat her up. I've failed to protect my fiancée...how can I protect her as my wife? How can I protect our daughter, if I can't even protect Alessia alone now?"

He nearly choked on his words and almost broke down again, if it weren't for James holding him up. They've reached Thomas' and Alessias room. James set Thomas down on the bed and he immediately fell onto the pillows. "Get some sleep, Thomas," James said, noticing how Thomas' eyes were already closed and his chest was rising and falling with his steady breathing.

It broke James' heart to see his closest friend like this. So heartbroken. So devastated. He knew he'd be the same if something happened to his wife, so he could understand Thomas.

As he headed back down the stairs, Sally came rushing towards him. She held something in her hands.

"Mr Madison, a letter has arrived from a Mr James Reynolds!", Sally exclaimed, keeping her voice down though to make sure that Thomas upstairs got his rest. But she was clearly worried. Alessia was somewhat her best friend here.

"I'll give it to Thomas first thing in the morning," James said as he took the letter. He thought for a moment, before he carefully cracked open the wax seal and pulled the letter out of the envelope. Sally looked like she wanted to protest, but she was just as curious to know what was inside as James was. After all, it concerned Alessia.

Dear Sir,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and in a prosperous enough position to put wealth in the pockets of people like me, down on their luck. You see, your fiancée is quite a feisty darling which I so happen to like.

Compared to my wife, she's a goddess, so to say, my wife simply whoring around. I've nevertheless come to the decision that I should maybe hand you your woman back. But to a price.

10.000$ by the first of December at latest. That shall give you two weeks of time. Enough time to wisely overthink your actions.

If I do not receive that money by then, I'll make you regret it.

Sincerely,

James Reynolds

James stared at the paper in disbelief. "10.000 dollars...", he muttered and Sally gasped "He wants ten thousand for Alessia?"

"Thomas is going to be pissed," James quietly said and sighed. He was pissed, too. But Thomas? Hell will break loose.

[ is my writing style okay? #lowkeyinsecure ]