The World Was Wide Enough

Thomas smiled down at her and brushed a strand of her hair out of her face "I did. I love you so damn much!"

And once more their lips engaged in a fiery and passionate kiss.

Thomas leaned against the doorframe to Alessandra's room, watching his wife with a soft smile on his lips. Alessia stood by Alessandras crib and held the small child in her arms, rocking her softly and humming a lovely tune.

Alessandra was something like Alessias lifeboat. After Frances' death, Alessia held onto Alessandra dearly. She was a broken mother, she was scared, and Alessandra provided Alessia the safety that she yearned for.

Alessandra had a mix of her parents' skin tone, not too dark like Thomas' but not as light as Alessias. Her eyes were a deep blue. And she had Alessias hair color, but Thomas' locks.

Thomas slowly approached his wife, wrapping his arms around her waist as soon as he reached her and carefully pulling her close to him. Alessia leaned against his chest, Thomas then beginning to sway with his wife, watching as Alessandras eyes slowly drooped closed.

When Alessandra began breathing calmly, proving that she fell asleep, Alessia carefully laid her in her crib, placing a kiss to the girl's forehead.

Thomas smiled and kissed Alessias cheek, nuzzling face into the spot where her neck and shoulder met. Alessia closed her eyes and smiled softly, slowly turning around and wrapping her arms around Thomas, burying her face in his chest.

"Let's get to sleep, my love," Thomas whispered softly, slowly heading towards the door, still holding Alessia close to him. Alessia nodded and followed him.

Early in the morning, the couple awoke to the crying of Alessandra two doors down. Alessia groaned, having been awakened from her first good night of sleep ever since Frances had committed suicide.

She felt the bed shift beside her and heard Thomas say "I'm going to take care of her, you sleep some more."

Alessia hummed and snuggled into the blanket, taking in the scent of Thomas.

It wasn't long until Thomas returned and she almost fell asleep again, but Thomas spoke up, pulling her attention to him "Alessia, love, you should read this."

Alessia sat up and frowned at Thomas "What is it? Mail this early in the morning?"

Thomas looked at Alessia and she could already tell that he was contemplating on something. That worried her even more.

"Thomas, what is it?"

He held two letters in his hand. One of them, he handed to his wife. It was addressed to her. The name of her brother was written on top of it, showing that it was him who had sent it.

She looked up at Thomas, before she pulled the letter out of the envelope and unfolded it, beginning to read.

July 4th, 1804

This letter, my very dear Alessia, will not be delivered to you, unless I shall first have terminated my earthly career; to begin, as I humbly hope from redeeming grace and divine mercy, a happy immortality.

I believe to already know with which words you may have met me if we would have had the chance to converse one last time before my passing, but for now and ever they shall remain a mystery to me and to whoever else, as you never have been able to recite the words you speak as exact as you planned.

In all of my living years, I could have never wished for a better sister. Everything I have become is thanks to you. After our mother's death you have given me the strength to continue, even when you have struggled with it yourself. You are the strongest of women I may have ever met.