47 • my flaws for yours

kinda unedited but oh well🤷🏼‍♀️

// shawn mendes //

@shawnmendes: after all this time, I'm still into you

• • •
next day

I looked at the screen of my phone. I rubbed my eyes and looked again.

Nope. That's the actual time.

12:27 p.m.

It's official, Margot Kate Franklin is a bad influence on me.

Sure, we may have stayed up until 5 A.M. simply talking, and sure, I may have enjoyed it a lot, but I still blame her. Half the day is gone.

She had fallen asleep last night, rather this morning, with her body facing me; laying on her side. One of her hands rested on my chest, falling and rising with my breaths. She looked peaceful again. A polar opposite of her normal self. Her normal, nervous, fidgety, worrisome self.

But that's just her. And looking down at her now, sleeping peacefully right next to me, I couldn't even imagine a life without her. Without her crazy tendencies. What was life like before Margot? I don't even remember.

It wasn't this good though. I do know that.

I began to scroll through Twitter, not minding her sleeping body next to me. I can already see it. I can already see it so clearly. I can already see us getting married, and simply wasting a whole day together because that's how she likes it. Laying in bed all day, a good marathon of something on TV, and each other.

"What else do you need?" she had asked on a rainy day we had spent together some months back. Nowhere to be, no one to see except each other, Friends on TV, and the relaxing patter of raindrops on the roof. I had smiled at her, hoping to give her extra reassurance that I indeed loved this just as much as she does. "Nothing. I don't need anything," I had replied. She returned my smile, kissing my cheek. "Me neither."

Snapping back out of my memories, I involuntarily smiled when I looked back down at the perfect, sleeping girlfriend of mine; still oblivious to the very much awake boyfriend of hers who was getting a little restless with the fact that she wouldn't wake up and talk to him. The very much awake boyfriend, fortunately, is used to his very tired girlfriend being very tired and only wanting to sleep. She is busy and she stays up late and it was kind of his fault for keeping her up last night, so it's fine. He gets it.

I closed my eyes and thought about attempting to go back to sleep, but I realized I wouldn't be able to. I'm wide awake now.

But soon enough, her eyelids fluttered open, and she blinked tiredly before closing them again. She nuzzled her head into my chest, taking a deep breath, then sighed.

"It's not time to get up yet, is it?" she asked, her voice muffled because she was speaking into my shirt. I couldn't help but smile.

"12:38 p.m. says otherwise, Margot Kate," I told her as I glanced at the time, and she turned her head to the side so she was looking at me.

"It's that late?" she asked before yawning. I nodded, still smiling.

She had no reaction to the confirmation that we had indeed slept until the afternoon, and it was obvious I could have said 12:38, 3:38, or 9:38 and she wouldn't have cared. It's all the same to Margot Kate Franklin; she sleeps when she is tired.