Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I didn't always have the drive to sell drugs. I was young and the world had handed me the short stick, I just had to find a way to survive after I was shunned from my old life.

I remember the first deal I did, I was so scared and nervous, I was carrying a backpack with enough drugs to distribute to the whole city. I guess Donovan knew what he was doing, no one would question a kid with a backpack. They would think that I was carrying books for school.

I walked into this abandoned warehouse with graffiti all over it, it looked like it'd been abandoned for decades. The windows were boarded up and the dust was overwhelming. It was one of the shadiest places in this town, I took a deep breath in and ventured closer to the building. 

I pushed a big stained door open and walked into the darkness that was the entrance. I could make out some furniture that was covered in plastic. I thought that it might have been an old furniture store. It wasn't.

They were smuggling drugs across the country in furniture. That's where I found my ways of hiding drugs in furniture.

Someone called out to me and I almost peed myself. It was an old bald man wearing a black suit. Typical drug lord appearance. He didn't say anything to me but he handed me a backpack and took mine. The bag he handed me was heavy but I pushed through.

When I got back to Donovan, he was happy that I didn't mess anything up. He reached into the bag and gave me two hundred dollars. I was so happy that I ran to him and gave him a hug. With that money, I bought some shoes and clothes. That's when it all started, I would go deliver backpacks and get one in return full of money.

Soon after that, Donovan had me selling in the streets. My job at the bar was the best place for the business, people would come in and ask if I knew of any dealers. They were staring at him.

I'm sure I have enough money to live like the son of a mayor. I don't have a bank account so I guess I'll have to find a place to store my money.

"It reeks," Jordan mutters as we drag the bags with the drugs in them up to a large ditch. "Yeah, this is a landfill after all," I say sarcastically. He scoffs.

"So you're gonna throw all of this away? What? You don't wanna be a drug dealer anymore?" He asks.

"I wanted to stop a long time ago but I never got to it. I think it's time that I throw in the towel." I say breathlessly. The bags are heavy and the smell is making me dizzy.

"Why don't you sell the rest and take the money?" He says quizzically. I look back at him with surprise. I thought he would be so happy about this since he was judging me about having a job and selling drugs.

"I can't do that, I want to get rid of all of it. Plus, I have money."

He nods and we reach the top of the ditch. "Take everything out of the bags and dump them in there," I say opening my first bag. He does the same and we begin dumping them into the ditch. It did hurt the first few times but the more I threw away, the more weight I felt lifted off my shoulder.

"You know they can still find the drugs right?" He questions.

"Who's gonna dig through a collapsed trash ditch?"

He shakes his head and we spend that next hour getting rid of what was left of Donovan's drugs. He'd probably be pissed with me if he were here but I don't care. I lived for his cause for many years, now it's time that I live for my own. Even if I don't know what it is yet.

"That's the last one," Jordan says with a huff. I sigh and look down inside the ditch. It feels good knowing that I don't have this burden anymore. Yes, I liked the thrill and the money but I haven't been living my life. It's time for me to start over.