Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The past week has been interesting for me. A lot of weird unfamiliar emotions, all towards Sam. During our hike, we talked about so many things and he wouldn't stop awkwardly flirting with me and I think I flirted with him too. He's kind and funny, strangely, he takes my mind off of things when I'm around him. We went on the same hike two days in a row and he made it a point to come sit next to me during meal times. We hung out in his room and I fell asleep in his bed, when I woke up, he was sitting at his desk doodling trees.

Last night I caught myself thinking about him in ways that I normally don't think about people. I've had my fair share of promiscuous adventures but none of them even left a big impression on me. I preferred the sex and then the silence that followed it. I preferred to not wake up next to another person. The physical touch of the people I slept with never felt right so I would leave immediately or I would have them leave. The emotion was never there and I didn't want to to be.

Odd that I was thinking about holding his hand, kissing him, and running my hands through his hair. It seemed like I was developing a feeling for him. I had to snap myself out of it because I am not made for relationships. I believe that everyone is temporary. Why would I subject myself to getting hurt?

"Alpha needs to see you." Someone says over my shoulder. I close the small book in my hand and turn to see one of the guards that I saw standing at the gate the first night. He's really tall and his eyes are two different colors. "Why?" I question staring into his eyes.

"I was told to inform you that he needs to talk to you immediately. The nature of the matter was not discussed." He speaks clearly and sternly.

"Jeez, you're not an automated machine. you can speak freely." I chuckle. His expression hardens and he takes a haunting step towards me. "I can snap your neck without breaking a sweat. Watch it." He whispers slowly in my ear. I gulp loudly and nod, "Noted." I quickly scramble out of the library.

No one in the house can take a joke.

What could Jordan possibly want from me, all week I've only seen him a few times and he hasn't said a word to me now he wants to talk. His beta came back from wherever yesterday and I was kind of disappointment, I was kind of hoping he never came back. It was great not seeing his smug stupid face around the house.

I reach Jordan's office and the door is ajar, I hear him speaking calmly and then he stops when I approach the door. "Come in." He orders.

My hands get clammy as I push the door open and step inside his office. Everything is neat and there's a faint smell of pumpkin in the air. He is standing behind his desk with his hands in his pockets. His lips are set in a straight line and his jaw is squared. He looks serious.

I glance at the chair in front of his desk and I can see the top of Daniel's head. Great, what did I do now?

"Close the door." He mouths and I quickly follow his order. My philosophy is to do everything he says so that he doesn't snap and kill me. Daniel swings the chair around throws a folder at me. I catch it instinctively. I stare at him in confusion, "Wh-"

"Open it." He spits with disgust. I press my lips together and open the folder. An eerie gasp tears through my airways and dispenses through the room.

Immediately, I let the folder fall out of my hands and the graphic pictures of the crime scene that has haunted me all these years, scattered around the floor like marbles. My sister's bloody dress, my mom's brain spattered on the wall over her limp body, my father's gun, and the pool of blood that trickled all the way to the front door.

I stare at the pictures wide eyes when I know I should look away but I am frozen, frozen on my knees next to the stairs because my mom told me not to come down no matter what happened. Frozen in my eleven-year-old body that couldn't stop screaming when the last gunshot went off. The sounds of my blood-curdling screams somehow snaked their way eleven years forward to join me at this very moment...to remind me that they were the only time where I felt anything but emptiness