Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Yesterday night was surprisingly not eventful for me. I'm so used to going out and selling that it felt weird to sit at the dinner table with other people and have to socialize without sliding a clear ziplock under the table. Jordan was surprisingly smiling and interacting with the pack members.

I had this image in my head that Alphas are always mean and mysterious. Jordan is that but he talks to his pack members instead of looming over them. He seemed normal.

"You can't be out here right now." Someone says from behind me. I slowly rip my gaze away from the glistening lake and turn to the person.

It's one of the guys who dragged me to the house that first night. He has a scar on his forehead that I didn't notice before. "I didn't know," I say taking a step forward. He steps back and allows me to pass him. Jordan said that sometimes, the warrior wolves do sweeps to make sure the territory is safe. So I guess tonight is one of those nights. I was enjoying contemplating my life near the lake. It's the only place I can think around here.

There are so many people around that I find it uncomfortable to relax. Back in my apartment, I use to be alone all the time.

"What's your angle?" I hear the guy ask from behind me and I freeze. I turn to face him slowly, his lips are set in a hard line and his eyes stare into mine with anything but pleasantry.

"What do you me-"

"I mean, you mysteriously run into our territory and then not even a week later you have Jordan offering you a place among us? What are you doing?" He asks shoving his hand into his pocket.

Unbelievable, he's just like the asshole beta. "I was running away from the police first of all. I didn't k-"

"Yeah yeah, you didn't know. Right!" He scoffs.

"So are all of the warrior wolves assholes or is it just a select few?" I ask feeling anger begin to spread through my body. His face hardens and his eyes swirl into a deep brown color.

"Watch it, rogue, I wouldn't disrespect me if I were you. Do you think Jordan is that nice to have offered you a place in this pack? He only has his best intentions in mind." He spits.

What could that mean? Jordan is a mystery but why would one of his warrior wolves think that the only reason why I'm here is because of Jordan's hidden agenda.

"He did me a favor...I—"

"You should know that all of the rogues that have come through this territory have been properly dismembered by none other than your savior. So, think twice before you step up to any of us." He snaps before storming off into the woods.

I stand still as his words bounce through my head. Why would Jordan help me? He could have killed me the moment I was brought here. He spared me and then made it seem like he cared whether I got caught or not. Why would he go through all the trouble?

Maybe coming here was a mistake after all.

>>>>

I made my way back to the house feeling like a truck had been dropped on my chest. The air felt thick and I couldn't stop thinking about what that guy said.

As I make my way up to my room, I notice that the halls are empty and it's quiet. I check my watch to see that it's only seven o'clock. Why would the pack members go to bed so early?

"What are you doing out?" A brown-haired girl says to me as she peeks her head out of one of the rooms. I raise an eyebrow and stare at her, "what's going on?" I ask curiously. She motions me over and I hesitate before walking to her. She grabs my wrist and pulls me into her room. It smells like lemongrass, her walls are covered in tapestries of different shapes. Her bed is covered in small pillows and there are small lights all around her room.