Nothing but a joke

I sat on the bus listening to Kinsley drone on about whatever. It's not that I didn't want to listen to what she said, it's that I wasn't in the mood. Once we arrived at school, I made my way to my locker only to be called punch girl or better yet dumpster girl. People pointed and laugh. I expected as much.

I opened my locker when I heard someone yell, "Where the hell have you been and why haven't you answered me back when I text you?!"

I really wasn't in the mood for this. I closed my locker and looked at him. He saw my bruised nose and busted lip. His face turns to fury.

"Who did this?"

"Doesn't matter," I said quietly.

"What do you mean it doesn't matter?! Of course, it does!" His voice was deep and powerful.

"Look, no offense, but I know you're only friends with me to get me into bed."

"What?!"

"Or better yet, not get me into bed because I'm just some little project you found in a parking lot one day," I snapped.

"What are you talking about?" He looked confused, but I know it was just a cover-up.

"Well, your project is over with. Don't worry about me. I'm nothing special and I think I will keep it that way," I said with a shrug as I walked away leaving him dumbfounded.

I knew what was coming later. I had expected it. Last night was a preview. Today would be the main event.

*****

I stood there as a few kids gathered was taking shots at me and throwing stuff at me. Dumb and dumber were there, the head cheerleader and the Captain of the football team. They each took turns until leaving me in a bloody crumpled mess.

Apparently, the captain and head cheerleader were an item, while dumb and dumber just plain hated me because of what Braydon did. They all walked away laughing as I pushed myself up, spitting blood out of my mouth. I was nothing but a joke.

I gathered my strewed books and scattered papers up and finally stood up. My legs were shaky and my head was throbbing. I stumbled home since I missed the bus again and had no ride home.

A few times I had to stop to breath and at one point I just sat down. Man, this was a long walk. A car pulled up and stopped. The person got out of the car. I looked at them and blinked, Braydon.

He walked over to me, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, you know, getting my exercise for the day. Well, I'll be going," I said, getting up and walking by him.

"You know you're not a project!"

I stopped and looked at him, "What?"

He walked up to me, "You're not a project, not to me at least."

I sighed and looked at him, "Why me? I'm nothing special."

"Who says?"

"Everyone."

He looked at me and reached up, gently touched my lip. I winced when he did. He pulled his hand back, "Molly, you are more special than you realize."

"You're just saying that because that way you'll be able to get me into your bed," I grumbled.

"Well, first off, I already got you in my bed. Second, if I wanted to fuck you, I would have already," he said, making my cheeks heat up. "Now, come on."

"Where are we going?"

"To my house, so I can clean you up," he said as he got into his car.

I sighed as I walked over to his car and got in. He pulled up into the driveway and got out. I got out and looked at it. The house was freaking huge! How did I not notice this before?