Relationships are tricky

Braydon came downstairs and into the kitchen where his mother was having a cup of coffee and checking her email on her phone.

"How was the dance?" She asked scrolling through her phone.

"Fine up until king douchebag and queen slut decided to cause problems," he grumbled pouring a cup of coffee.

She turned and looked over her reading glasses at him, "Care to elaborate?"

He walked over and took a seat at the table, "Robbie told me that they had planned for Molly along with Randy to cause problems."

"Why?"

"Who the fuck knows?"

"Braydon, language," she cautioned him.

He gave her a look. "Honestly, I don't know why they are so bent on ruining her. She doesn't do anything to anyone."

His mother gave him a concerned look.

"Mom, Molly doesn't have any friends, she's incredibly shy and causes no problems. I don't understand what their beef is with her."

"Molly is the girl you brought over here that look like a truck hit her, wasn't she?"

"Yeah," he answered.

"Hang on a minute," she said, getting up and leaving the room. A few minutes later she returned with a photo album. She flipped through it until she came to a photo. "I thought she looked familiar."

"What's that?"

"This was one of your birthday parties from when you were about seven. See that little girl right there with the glasses?"

"Yeah," he said.

"That's Molly King, I remember when her parents brought her, she was so incredibly shy. It took some coaxing, but she eventually played with your kids. She was one of the sweetest girls I had ever met; very polite and soft-spoken."

"I don't remember her."

"That's not surprising, I mean, who remembers someone they never really talk to them as everyone moved up in grades, they change friends. People change."

"Is it bad that I don't remember her?"

"Honestly, I don't know, but maybe you should get to know her now. Braydon, whatever the reason is, you have a soft spot for this girl."

He looked at her and continued to drink his coffee. Then he had an idea.

******
I spent most of my Sunday working on a paper for class. It was a usual Sunday for me. Then I heard Mom yell, "honey you have company!"

"I'm busy! Tell them to go away!"

"Molly Anne King! Don't be so rude!"

I contorted my face into a frown. Why must she always bug me when I'm busy with homework? Especially for "company"? I don't have any friends except Kinsley and we weren't exactly BFF's. This is probably some joke.

I set my pencil down and got up. This had better be good. I walked downstairs only to stop halfway when I saw Braydon standing there. Great, just what I needed.

I sighed and finished my descent the rest of the way.

"I'll leave you two alone." She left the room and I stood there. I had no idea what Braydon wanted.

"Molly, look I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get upset with you last night. It's just any time you start to open up, you shut down quickly. Like you're afraid that maybe people won't like you," he said to me.