{41} Mine [Series 2]

FORTY-ONE:

© All Rights Reserved - 2013 S. M. Palmer

♜♖♜ COLBY ♖♜♖

SOON, THE DOCTOR ENTERS AND he takes Derek's temperature, listens to his heart, and gets his blood pressure. "Nurse Trinity told me that he's been spitting up since three this morning?"

My wife nods. "I woke up with him and at 5:00 this morning, I got in the shower with him. He stopped spitting up for about ten minutes, but then started spitting up again."

That's when Derek burps and spit up leaks out his mouth. Leaning over, I grab his spit up cloth from the diaper bag and wipe it away. After a couple moments, the doctor speaks up. "We're going to have to take him back for some tests," he replies. "It's very uncommon for a baby to spit up as much as your son has. Especially at nine months."

Keira nods again. "Can either me or my husband come back?"

"Yes. But only one of you," he answers, giving us a small smile.

My wife pivots to me. "You can go back with him," she replies. "I'll just stay here."

"You sure? Because you can go back with him if you want and I'll stay in here," I reply.

"Seriously, it's fine," she answers. "Go back with your son. He'd probably want his daddy back there more than anything."

"Alright, I'll go back," I inform and she beams faintly at me.

Before leaving the room with the doctor, I kiss my wife's forehead. I exit the cubical, but instantly stop as I watch my wife (who's heart is probably shattered into a million pieces from all this) fall backwards into the chair and just lets the tear fall freely, after a couple seconds her eyes turning into raccoon eyes because her eyeliner and mascara smudge. 'Poor baby! Why did she have to get stuck being the one who miscarries her baby and then two days later has to bring her son to the emergency room because he won't stop spitting up.'

- - -

When we get back to the room, Dr. Fredrick tells us that he's going to get Derek's X-rays and he'll be back momentarily. I lay Derek down in his bed and turn to Keira. I notice she's playing some type of game on her phone. "What'cha playing?" I ask, sitting down beside her.

"Scrabble," she answers, showing me the lit screen. "Did they take Derek's X-rays?"

"Yep," I answered. "Dr. Fredrick went to go get his results. Why did you start crying after I exited the cubical earlier?"

"I wasn't crying," she mutters. "Anyway, if I did start crying after you left, how'd you know?"

"After we left, I heard you sigh and I stopped to watch what you did. Did you start crying because you thought about how you miscarriages a couple days ago? Honey, you know, we can keep trying."

She exhales a deep breath. "Okay, I was crying about that, but I was also crying because of some other shit that has happened."

"What kind of other shit?" I ask, crouching down in front of her and rubbing her leg gently.

"Just this whole situation happening right now," she mutters. "It's all kind of wrapping up into the dream I had had yesterday about you, Derek, my parents, and I."

"You want to tell me about it now?" I ask, cocking an eyebrow.

She sighs and then props her arm up to rest her cheek against her propped hand. "In the dream I had had yesterday my dad was wanting you, me, Derek and my mom to come visit him. So, we went to visit him. But instead of his new wife being Adrianna, he didn't have a new wife. I remember him telling us that him and my mom were dating again and my mom was pregnant with his baby. Since my parents were back together, they wanted us to file a divorce and they wanted Derek to be taken away from us because we weren't responsible people."