~ Chapter 16 ~

After many weeks of going backwards and forwards to the hospital, it was finally time to bring Phoenix home. She had grown a lot and can now breathe on her own. In fact, the doctors told us that she had grown much quicker than babies normally born at 34 weeks, which is a good sign. They said she was about the size of a 3 week old. In them many weeks, Brendon's parents had met her. So had Brendon's brothers and sisters. They all adored her. Seeing as my parents were sadly no longer with us and my brother didn't want to know me and I no longer talk to my sister, none of my family had met her. It didn't really bother me in any way because I knew she didn't need them. We had to go for a check up in a week or so but she was free to go home. I put her carefully into her car seat and strapped her in. She didn't cry or stir once which was helpful. She just stayed asleep. She was quite a placid baby, thank goodness. I took hold of the car seat and Brendon held the door open for me as we walked through. I said goodbye to the hospital staff and thanked them for taking care of us and we were finally on our way home.

"You excited?" Brendon asked.

"I'm more nervous than anything." I said truthfully.

"Everything is going to be fine. I'm only a few houses away so if anything happens, come and get me." He said.

"I know. Thank you." I said.

"Don't thank me." He laughed. I put the car seat in the back of the car and sat in the adjacent seat. Brendon got into the driver's seat and drove home. He turned down the radio so she didn't wake up from her sleep. We drove home in near to silence. We pulled up and there was a banner across the front door reading:
WELCOME HOME ALEXIS & PHOENIX!

We got out of the car and there was balloons and streamers all over the front lawn.

"Did you have anything to do with this?" I asked.

"No. My mom may have something to do with it though." He chuckled. I held on to the carrier tightly and braced myself for what was happening inside.

"Did you give her your spare key?" I asked, stopping at the front door.

"Yeah because she A) promised to give it back and B) she wanted to check that the house was okay." He replied.

"Oh OK." I replied. Brendon opened the door and let me walk inside first because I was carrying the car seat. The house was dark, even though it was 12pm. I flicked on the light switch and everyone jumped up. I screamed and then clasped my hand over my mouth. I could see Brendon's mom and dad, his brothers and sisters, Sarah, Cal, Cal's mom, Panic!, Fall Out Boy, the rest of my band. You name it, they were most likely there.

"WELCOME HOME!" They all cheered. Brendon stood next to me and started laughing. I looked down and checked that Phoenix was still asleep. She was, thank goodness.

"Oh my God. Thank you, this is absolutely amazing!" I told them. Evie beckoned me over with her hand so I followed. She told me to have a seat on the couch. People started crowding around me.

"Let me look at her!" Evie said excitedly, peering over at the seat. "Isn't she beautiful?"

"She's absolutely gorgeous!" Kirsten cooed.

"She looks so much like you!" Amethyst exclaimed.

"Look! She's smiling!" Skyla said, slightly yelling. I looked over and saw that her face began to crumble.

"Oh no." I said, my eyes widening. All of a sudden, her screams ran through the house. I unclipped her from the car seat and held her tightly, bouncing her slightly. She wouldn't stop.

"I didn't mean to do this!" Skyla exclaimed. I checked if she needed her diaper changing. Nope. I tried feeding her. Nothing. I tried standing up and bouncing her but no avail.

"Brendon. Can you help?" I asked, my voice strained. He jogged over to us and took Phoenix carefully out of my arms. He rocked her backwards and forwards gently until she slowed down and slowly became quiet again. He held her, still slightly bouncing her up and down.

"There we go. She's settled." Brendon whispered.

"She's a daddy's girl, I see." Brendon's mom said. I slumped down on to the sofa and put my head in my hands.

"Alexis, are you okay?" Evie asked.

"No. Why am I such a bad mom?" I sobbed. She rubbed my back.

"You're not. It takes time." She said.

"I can't even calm down my own daughter." I sobbed harder.

"Alexis, she is a few weeks old. It takes time. You're not a bad mom and don't ever tell yourself that." She told me, reassuringly. I wiped my eyes and looked up at her.

"Thank you." I told her, hugging her.