~ Chapter 21 ~

"911. What's your emergency?" The operator spoke. I tried to breathe normally but it was stifled.

"My- my baby isn't breathing properly a-and she is very cold." I managed to say.

"Okay. Can you stay on the line?" They asked.

"Y-yeah. Please, I really need an ambulance." Tears started rolling freely down my cheeks.

"An ambulance is on its way. It's not too far now." They reassured me.

"I don't want her to die! She's my baby girl!" I cried.

"She won't. Can you bring her downstairs, with some blankets and warm clothes and open the front door? Can you do that for me?" They asked.

"Uh yeah. I can." I said. I cuddled Phoenix's freezing body to my warm one. I went into her room and grabbed a bag and put some random jumpers and sweats and long sleeved baby grows. I packed some warm socks for her too. I grabbed the Phoenix toy Cal got her and put that in the bag. I was wearing a pair of jeans and a jumper so I looked okay. I picked up the bag and ran downstairs. I opened the front door and lay Phoenix on the couch. I slipped some flats on and grabbed my house phone and called Brendon.

"Hello?" He answered after 3 rings.

"Brendon?" I sobbed.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, sounding partially worried.

"No. Just come to my house as quick as possible." I sobbed loudly.

"Okay. Bye." He said, hanging up. I kissed Phoenix's forehead.

"You'll be okay." I cried quietly. The paramedics came running inside.

"Hello I'm Tyler. I'm a paramedic. Can you tell me her name?" Tyler asked.

"H-her name is Phoenix. She's 4 1/2 months old." I told him. Another 2 paramedics came inside and surrounded her. Just at that moment, Brendon and Sarah came running in. Tears threatened to spill from his eyes when he saw the scene.

"W-what happened?" He asked.

"I don't know. She just stopped. The monitor picked it up." I cried. He pulled me in to a hug.

"It'll be okay." He said, hitching his breath. We pulled away and the paramedic looked at us.

"Who's the parents?" Tyler asked.

"I'm the father." Brendon said.

"And I'm the mother." I also said. He raised an eyebrow and glanced at Sarah. He then nodded and yet another paramedic came into the house. He took one look at Phoenix and just scooped her up and just ran out of the house with her. Without thinking, I sprinted out of the house and followed him. I ran into the ambulance and sat down on the seat provided. She looked so small as she was lying on that bed. The paramedic that ran off with her was also sat in the back. I saw Brendon waiting at the back doors.

"I've locked the house for you. I'll take the car and I'll be right behind you." He told me.

"Okay. I'll see you there then." I said. The doors of the ambulance closed and the engine started. The ambulance's sirens went off as we sped to the hospital. Once we had arrived, they let me hold Phoenix. We went into the hospital and were led through to the children's department where the doctors and nurses would examine her. Brendon was actually there when we arrived so we walked in together. We went straight past the reception desk and into the ward. We got put into a private room and many doctors and nurses came flooding in.

"Hello, my name is Doctor Chai. Can you tell me what happened?" He asked.

"Well, I put her to bed as usual. A few hours later, the alarm that monitored her breathing and movement made a noise of distress so I checked up on her. That's when I found her like that. Pleaded, tell me if she's going to be okay." I said.

"We need to run some tests and then we can determine what's wrong with her and then we can treat it." Doctor Chai explained to me and Brendon. We nodded and they carried on. They put a tiny breathing mask on her.

"She looks so small and vulnerable." I squeaked. "My poor baby." Tears streamed down my face. Brendon hugged me close to his chest and rubbed his hand up and down my back in comfort.

"I can't stand seeing her like this." Brendon admitted. We sat down on the chairs whilst we were waiting for the tests to be done. I slowly lay my head on Brendon's shoulder and my eyes threatened to close. I tried to fight it but the sleep caught me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alexis, wake up." Brendon gently whispered. He tapped me and shook me slightly. My eyes fluttered open.

"What's going on?" I asked, still half asleep. I rubbed my eyes and saw Doctor Chai ready to talk to me and Brendon.

"Your daughter is stable. She had a febrile seizure, also known as a febrile convulsion." Doctor Chair explained.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"A febrile seizure is a type of fit that can occur when a child has a fever. It normally occurs between the ages of 3 months old to 6 years old. They are usually harmless and most children make a full recovery. However, as your daughter was a premature baby, we have to take precaution so we are keeping her in for a few days." He continued.

"We're going on holiday in a week, will she be able to go?" Brendon asked.

"We'll have to see when the time comes. It depends on how she recovers." He said.

"What are the causes of these seizures?" I asked.

"The cause of febrile seizures is unknown, although they're linked to the start of a fever, a high temperature of 38C (100.4F) or above. There may also be a genetic link to febrile seizures – the chances of having a seizure are increased if a close family member has a history of them. In most cases, the high temperature is caused by an infection. Common examples are chicken pox, flu, middle ear infection or tonsillitis. In rare cases, febrile seizures can occur after a child has a vaccination." He explained further.

"So it's nothing that we have done?" Brendon asked. Doctor Chai shook his head.

"Sometimes it just happens." He said.