Chapter 23 - Innocence Lost

."Hiya Jenny. Took you a while." Greeted Allan as Jenny sat with them. "We just finished eating because we thought that you two will arrive next year."

"That's so funny, I forgot how to laugh." Jenny snorted.

Allan sneered"Sheesh, you don't have to take it seriously.How's the club? I heard you went well earlier." He smiled.

"Oh,that's weird. I thought you didn't care about me. " Jenny snorted. "Where's Tony?"

Paolo looked at the main entrance of the cafeteria. "Still waiting for him."

"Well," Jenny slumped down on the table. "Since you guys ate already then I have to order myself an ice cream."

"Please, Jenny." Allan warned her. "We're gonna sing on Monday. Can't you abstain your dairy delicacies for a bit, please?"

Jenny winked. "I do what I want." then she left.

"Ugh, "Allan shrugged. "She's gonna make us feel bad again on Monday. I don't wanna hear her rasping around the stage again. Remember when we first performed at Mason City for the battle of the bands?"

"Oh that one. I thought Jenny had a cold back then."

"YES EXACTLY," Allan leaned in. "But she still ate that blueberry ice cream. Lots of it."

"Well, " Paolo gave that evil look on Allan. "Who gave the ice cream in the first place, huh?"

"Uh, what the." Allan leaned back in shock. "I gave it to her for her to eat AFTER our number! Besides, I think it's not the main issue to be tack-"

"Oh, yes it is." Paolo took a last sip from his ordered orange peeled shake then he looked away. "Besides, Jenny's voice was quite okay back then. We won anyway, right? I mean not just winning" He laughed. "-we got the crowds roaring."

"But her voice made me feel bad when I was playing back then so I kinda tripped on my shredding part!"

Allan let laughter beat him. "haha! Allan. Your solo was okay. I think you need to lower your standards a bit. Enjoy life for crying out loud."

Allan looked at Jenny, who was approaching the table. "That's what the losing bands did. Complacency."

Jenny caught Allan staring at her. She slowed her pace and kept the stare with Allan. "What the hell?"

Allan, realizing late that Jenny caught her staring at her eye, quickly looked at Paolo. "Oh, nothing."

Allan peeked at his right when he felt that Jenny sat beside him. His thoughts were running out of topics since this is the first time he ever opened himself again to the girl that gave him hope. But he tried to mask it with bravado.

"I told you not to eat Ice - "

But as he looked at Jenny's tray, all he could see was water and a double bypass burger.

"cream?"

Allan was shocked. "Oh, I thought you're gonna eat I-"

Jenny interrupted by looking at the burger. "No I don't feel like eating one anymore since you don't want me to eat one."

then she looked at Allan and smiled.

Allan's emotions blended in. Jenny is starting to obey her at some sort. He thought it over while playing with the straw that he used with his drink earlier."Oh, that's... new."

"Allan." Paolo checked. "Your cheeks are on fire."

"My, my cheeks... are on what? " Allan said.