11

Flashback (trigger warning, talks of assault and self harm)

I sat on the sofa as Gemma came in with him. His hair was cut short recently, his usual greasy tangled mess long gone, and he had that stupid grin on his face. She smiled shyly at me as he grabbed her arm trying to kiss her. "Stop my brother's here." Gemma tried to warn him.

"Damn it Gemma lets go upstairs then!" I heard him say as they walked out of view.

"My mom doesn't let me have- oww!" She said. "Fine."

They walked past me and he smirked at me as he grabbed my sister's behind. She smacked his hand away and all he did was push her up. It was quiet for a while as I watched the tv.

Gemma always told me to mind my business when he was around.

It wasn't until I began hearing them argue that I stood to the bottom of the stairs thinking of what to do to help her.

"Stop fighting me!" He yelled. "Just fucking lay down!"

"No that hurts!" I went up the stairs and knocked on the door.

"Go away!" He yelled.

"What are you guys doing!" I said trying to open the door. "Gemma!"

"Just go, Harry!" She yelled.

I walked back downstairs, but I kept hearing them argue. I turned the tv up and tried to ignore them but then I heard it. My sister calling for help.

"Stop! That hurts! Help!" I got up and sprinted up the stairs. "No, Kyle stop you're hurting me!" She screamed and I heard him grunt. I tried to open the door but I couldn't.

"Open the door!" I began slamming into it and it wouldn't budge.

"Stop Kyle!" She yelled again. As I finally broke down the door, Kyle was on top of her with his pants down. Gemma had her hands pinned back, crying and shaking violently in fear .

He got up and she quickly covered herself with a sheet to hide what he had done to her. He looked freaked out, picking up his stuff, jumping through the window to the balcony, where I knew he'd come through at night.

I looked at her to see if she was alright and she began crying. "Gemma?"

"Leave me alone!" She looked down and screamed. "Get out!" I ran out and realized what he had done. I couldn't breathe, but I knew what I had to do. I went after him.

*
*
*

I decided the day before Christmas to drive my mom to her chemotherapy session. Robin had taken Jane and Daisy out for the day so I could be with her.

She sat in her chair as the nurse adjusted her medicine, relaxed with her legs up and head back, looking at me. "So how's the arm?" She asked.

"Good, just fine now." I moved my arm around to show her. "So what do you usually do during chemo?" She sighed.

"Read, sometimes talk, or knit. I made the cutest sweater the other day." I chuckled. "How's Jane doing?"

"Jane's perfect, she's working and I actually went to her school to help out and the kids love her. She's good at what she does." She nodded. "Business is good too."

"I've heard, I'm proud of you Harry, I always knew those sketches would get you somewhere." She looked at her arm and hissed. "Tell me, how was the wedding?" I told her about my speech and the music, how amazing Olivia looked and how Louis never looked happier. How much fun it was to see two people you care about getting married. "And when are you and Jane going to have a wedding?"