Chapter 16: Nothing Special

I woke up the next morning to the smell of breakfast coming from the kitchen.  Before I could completely open my eyes, Brooke came flying onto my bed, overly peppy as usual.  I shrieked, "What the hell!?"

She sat next to me with a shit eating grin on her face like she was overly excited about something. "Have you like looked at him?"  She pointed towards the kitchen as she spoke and wiggled her eyebrows at me.

I nodded and rolled my eyes, "Yes, he's been here for a few days now, so yes I have seen him."

"So you realize how freakishly hot he is?!"  

I shook my head and threw a pillow in her face.

Brooke continued as she threw the pillow back at me, "Seriously!  How have you not jumped his bones yet!  I mean I get he was Brody's best friend, but come on!"  

My face flushed and I sat up to get out of bed.

"OH MY GOD! You have!"  She got up on her knees and covered her mouth.

I stood up and turned around with a stern look.  "Nothing has happened, so just drop it, ok?"  I turned to walk out of the room and away from the never-ending questions that were about to ensue.

She ran after me and grabbed my arm before I could leave the room.  "You start talking now!"

"There is nothing to talk about! I don't even know what it was, so I can't share a thing."

She gasped, "So there is something.... I'm watching you."  She pointed a finger in my face and wiggled her eyebrows and then we walked to the kitchen together.

"Good morning girls," TJ said as he turned around from the stove.  "Hope you're both hungry.  I made french toast!"  He smiled with pride. 

"Starving," I said as my face flushed at his attention.  He turned back around as I saw his cheeks pink up as well.  

Brooke clearly noticed because she looked at me again and gave me big eyes and tried to hide a mischievous smile.  "Sooooo what did you two do after I went to bed last night?"

I dropped my head and silently cursed my insane best friend who I wanted to suffocate with a pillow.  After I could compose my smile and red face a little I finally responded," Just hung out on the patio and went for a walk on the beach.  Nothing special." 

I looked up as TJ tilted his head and looked at me with a puzzled face, "Yep, nothing special."  His smile faded and he almost looked hurt.

Brooke could obviously sense something was being left unsaid.  "Uh right... You guys are weird.  Let's eat."  TJ and I agreed with a nod.

Breakfast was eerily quiet.  I sat in between TJ and Brooke and could feel him watching me while I ate.  Brooke got up to put her plate in the sink and TJ immediately placed his hand on my leg.  I had to catch my breath at the touch.  I glanced over at him from the side and smiled.  He smiled back as Brooke stood in front of us on the other side of the island.

"What is going on with you two?"  She tilted her head and was bouncing her eyes back and forth between TJ and I.

TJ looked up at her and without delay answered her, "Not sure what you are talking about." And he stood up to walk to the sink himself.  He looked at me and raised his eyes with no expression on his face.  "I'm going to go shower.  Hope you both enjoyed your breakfast." And just like that he was off down the hall.

Brooke and I both yelled after him, "Thank you!"

I looked down at my plate before picking it up and walking to the sink myself.  Brooke was eyeing me still.  She was making me a little nervous.  "So how long do you get to stay for?" I asked her to change the subject.