Chapter 32: Burning Down the Bonfire

My chest got tight as I sat there and the memories flooded my mind. I started to struggle to breath and I stood up and walked straight to the water.

As I focused on the waves to steady my breathing, Dylan came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder. "You ok?" He whispered in my ear.

I leaned my head back into him and took a deep breath. After a few more moments of silence, I started talking. "The day after I first met Brody, it was my 16th birthday. We ran into each other while we were both out running on the beach. I was trying not to fall apart but I did." I took a deep breath and continued on as he just listened. "I remember him telling me to listen and focus on the waves. To breathe in and out with them. And within seconds my breathing steadied and I could calm down." I paused for another moment. "I went from complete breakdown to calm in a matter seconds in his arms, focusing on the waves."

After a few moments of silence, Dylan spoke quietly. "Is that what you did when I told you I loved you the first time?"

I nodded. "Well I tried, but I couldn't focus. I was so panicked that I couldn't get to that point on my own. It wasn't until TJ came and made me focus as he held me that I could finally calm down."

He kept his arms tight around me and stayed quiet.

"Brody lived in this house when I met him. His parents let him come back here to spend his senior year and rented this house. That's when he did the bonfires. He stayed in the house for 2 years after he graduated while he waited for me to graduate."

Dylan gave me another squeeze. "Is that why you stay here?"

I nodded again. "He bought the place and kept it a secret. Probably after he found out about his tumor. The keys were left with Brooke."

"Did she know about the tumor?"

I shook my head. "The only person who knew was TJ I think. I don't think his parents even knew."

"You never asked?"

"No. I don't think I want to know to be honest. I was hurt enough that TJ knew and I didn't."

He nodded and stepped to my side with his arm still tight around me.

"There are so many memories on this beach. Sometimes I hate being here. But I can't stand to be far away for fear that I will start to forget." I leaned my head into Dylan's shoulder and wrapped my arms around his waist. "I don't ever want to forget, ya know. I go days now without thinking about him, and it scares the hell out of me."

"You won't ever forget, Cami. Just because you don't spend every minute thinking about him and all the memories, doesn't mean you are forgetting. They are in your heart and always will be. They'll surface when you need them. You can't beat yourself up about it all."

"I know.... I'm sorry for unloading all this on you."

"Don't ever apologize for that." He pulled away and took my face in his hands. "Do you hear me?" I nodded as tears filled my eyes. "I told you I would be whatever you need me to be and I meant that." He leaned in and kissed me as tears fell from my eyes.

He pulled back but held my face and looked deeply into my eyes. "I love you Dylan. Thank you."

"I love you too Cami." He pulled me back into his side and my arms wrapped tightly around him again.  "Now I know why you love that bracelet so much that I got you for your birthday."

I smiled and looked up at him. "You have no idea how much it means to me, babe."

***

We stood out by the water until we heard yelling back at the bonfire. We both looked back to see everyone up and dancing around the bonfire again, clearly catching their second wind. I looked to Dylan with a smile, "Guess we should go join the fun, ya?"