Chapter 3

Janet

I used the key Gil had made for me to let myself in to his apartment.

"Yaaaaasss bitch tha Queen has arrived honey!"

The music was blasting through his place, I laughed as both Gil and Shawn looked over at me, grabbed my hand and made me join them as they danced around the living room. It wasn't very long before Shawn noticed how puffy my eyes were.

"Is everything okay? You look like you've been crying."

Gil stopped and gave me a second look. We all went upstairs to the bedroom and sat down to talk.

"What happened Dunk?" Gil turned to me taking my hand in his as I started to cry

Shawn looked at me with so much concern in her eyes. I felt bad because she didn't know anything about the history with my husband. I didn't speak right away.

Shawn stood up to leave the room. "I'm gonna go downstairs so you guys can talk." She said and started to walk away.

"No Shawn. Will you please stay with me?" I asked, holding my hand out to her. She took it and sat closer to me, allowing me rest my head on her shoulder for a moment. "Rene sent a car for me today." Gil was very rattled hearing his name. Shawn just looked back and forth at us. "We have been kind of on and off for a few years now, he and I. I've actually been staying with Gil for the past few weeks."

"Did he hurt you again?" Gil blurted out.

I shot a look in Gil's direction. He knew I didn't want anyone to know about that. It was too late and Shawn looked furious. Tears were beginning to swell up in her eyes. I stood up, turned my back to them and lifted my shirt. Shawn gasped. I could see her face in the mirror's reflection. She walked up behind putting her hands on my side. She closed her eyes, tears falling as she pressed her lips against the bruising on my shoulder and kissed it. Gil was crying too.

"I'm so sorry he did this to you." She said.

I turned and wrapped my arms around her neck and buried my face into her shoulder as I cried. Gil stood and hugged me from behind.

Shawn

Seeing those bruises on her body made me livid. My blood was boiling. No woman deserves that especially not her. Not J. I tried to be strong but the more she cried, the more Gil and did as well. I just wanted hold and protect her forever.

"Hey, I got you J. Gil and I both got you okay? We won't let him hurt you again." I said.

Janet looked at me.

"He says he's sorry and that he is trying to work on it." She said, not sounding very convinced herself.

Gil rolled his eyes. Janet was clearly bothered by it.

"Gil he is seeing a therapist and is trying to get his anger and drinking under control."

I couldn't believe it. She was defending him.

"He said that the last 3 times Janet. 3!" Gil said throwing up his fingers. I didn't say anything. I just listened.

"Gil please." She said.

"No! This shit is crazy! I can't watch him continue to do this to you." He turned to me.

"Do you remember when she missed rehearsal for our SNL performance last year? It was because he bruised her neck so much, make up couldn't cover it! Or when she called and said she was too sick to go on our annual kids trip. He'd thrown her into the bed post nearly breaking 2 of her ribs. She could barely walk for weeks."

"Gil! Please!" Janet yelled, startling the both of us. I'd never even heard her get that loud before.

"You know that I told you all of that in confidence. Why would you do that?" She gazed at him with hurt and betrayal in her eyes.

"Because Dunk, you won't listen to me. I don't know why, but you won't. Maybe it's someone else's turn to try and convince you." He grabbed his cigarettes and walked out on to his bedroom balcony, slamming the door behind him.

Fuck, I thought. I didn't know how to wrap my head around all of this. Janet just looked at me, tears falling freely. She sat down on the edge of the bed, hands in her lap, her eyes focused towards the floor.

"Hey," I said kneeling down in front of her. "Don't be upset with him. Gil loves you and is very worried about you. It's hard watching someone you love hurt like this." I said.

"I know Shawn. I just, Rene is my husband." She shook her head, wiping her face in her sleeve as she continued. "He reminds me of Joseph sometimes."

"Have you talked to your mom about it?" I asked.

"I tried without going into too much detail. She just kept reminding me of how my father "used to be" and how he changed as they got older. She tells me to be patient and to give him the chance to learn how to love me the right way." She explained.

"Is that what you want J?"

She looked at me. "I don't know. He's hurt me so many times. I'm so scared of him Shawn." She said.

"Look, you're here now. There is nothing to be afraid of here. We're going to get you all cleaned up and feeling good. We're going to have great time tonight."

I just looked at her for a moment. God she was beautiful even when she cried. My heart hurt for her, badly and I wanted to protect her at all cost.