Chapter 27

Janet

Gil climbed in the bed next to me and shook his head in frustration

Gil climbed in the bed next to me and shook his head in frustration. "What do you expect her to do Dunk? Sit around here and wait for you while you work on your marriage? That shit is just crazy." He scoffed, pursing his lips. "You celebrities I swear."

"Excuse you, you know that I am not like that at all." I was hurt by what he said. "Of course that's not what I want. You know me better than that."

He sat up and crossed his legs in the bed. "Do I? Because as I've said before, this sounds like a classic case of wanting your cake and eating it too. She is getting tired of this Janet."

I threw myself back against my bed and gazed at the ceiling. I shook my head, angry at the tears swelling in my eyes. "You guys just don't understand what it's like for me. You can go where you want, date who you want, divorce who you want. People are always watching me, waiting for one little slip up. My parents are just trying to protect me and my image."

He rested his head back on my stomach and glanced at me. "Are they protecting you or keeping you in a box? You have all this money and people are still telling your grown ass how to live your life?"

"Who do you think sent Rebbie and LaToya to me in the first place? Mother suggested that we go to marriage counseling, so we're seeing someone tomorrow."

Gil sat up and looked down at me. "Fuck all this shit girl. What is it that you want Dunk?"

"It doesn't matter what I want."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "That's bullshit and you know it. We are human and humans make mistakes but staying with this man doesn't seem like the smartest choice to make. He could hurt you again... or worse Janet."

"You don't think people can change Gil?" I asked.

He hesitated before he spoke. "I'm sorry babe but his trigger finger says no."

His words took my breath away, and I glanced over to the very spot where it happened. I took Gil's hand and kissed it. I sat up next to him, pushed my hair behind my ears and looked at him. "He'll come for my money, you know that right?."

He laid his head against my shoulder. "Then that bitch will be in for the fight of his life."

My thoughts wandered to Shawn. "They're cute together huh, Shawnette and Amelia." I said resting my head against his.

"I was trying to look but your ass yanked me behind the damn curtain." He said, smacking his lips. "But from what I saw from before, yeah," Gil nodded. "They seem to be into each other." He was quiet for a moment before he spoke again. "Can I say something without you getting offended?"

"I'm a little scared but go on." I said.

"I think that you need to really sit back and think about how you feel about her."