Chapter 54 - Healing

The Lakelanders have been driven out. The front line is re-enforced, with extra patrols and soldiers on the front line. The word is that over 500 soldiers raided. We killed at least 400 of them, the rest fleeing. Our death count is not as bad, but we still lost lives. That is enough to send my stomach into knots.

"Where are the healers!" I yell. "We need to heal his leg and shoulder" I say, to no one in particular.

"They are coming Mare" Farley places a hand on my shoulder. Turns out Shade jumped them to the storage area of the castle. No one would bother looking up there, and it was safe enough until we had the all clear and Maven was locked up again. He would die soon anyway. This was the last straw and Cal had enough.

"Son of a..." Cal swears under his breath, as he comes back to consciousness. "What the hell happened to me?" he says, searching my eyes. His eyes also look over me, the blood and dirt all over my now torn sports bra and high waist pants. I have rips everywhere and the blood stained my black pants galaxy silver, the red blood not quite coming up over black fabric.

"You fainted. You lost a lot of blood" he throws his head back, as if embarrassed or anxious at fainting.

"The front line is secure your Majesty" Volo says. Ptolemus, Evangeline and Volo are in the corner, Kilorn's eyes never leaving their side. They are being patched up too, while they wait for healers. We are all a mess. Evangeline is laying, her eyes always watching me. She has her hand on her ribs, covering her injury.

"Are you ok?" I say to her, when her stares begin to make me uncomfortable. Cal looks over at Evangeline too. The healers are not here yet, attending to the soldiers barracks as Cal would want it, so everyone is waiting. She looks pale, more than usual.

"Uhh... yeah. Thanks Mare" I nod, looking at Cal. We both share a look, as if confused by her kindness. "For everything" she adds, drawing my attention to her again. I can see her thoughts, and Volo drops his gaze. He looks solemn, and...grateful. I hope he feels guilty for trying to kill me too, but right now I can't think of that. Without the Samos strength, we couldn't have driven out the invaders. And without Evangeline, Farley says that they would all be dead. Clara first. She owes her. I figure forgiving her father is enough, for saving Clara and my family. Now we are even.

"We need to get you a healer" I say to Cal, because he needs to be able to get up and move. He shakes me off, getting up off the dining table we placed him on. He puts his legs over the side, still sitting up. His head bowed, as if it is hard to lift. We are all in the family room, so it is a mess. Blood and dirt everywhere. "Cal" I say, but he doesn't listen, moving to get off the table.

"I'm ok. I'll be healed last" he says and I frown. I want to argue, but he is stubborn. Always putting everyone else in front of himself. He starts walking to the door, calling over a soldier while he holds his shoulder. I want to strangle him for that. "When the healer is done with the barracks, please send them here to heal everyone else. When everyone is healed, send them to my room. Thank you".

"What?" I say, not quite believing what I hear, but Cal keeps walking.

"I'm going to shower and ill deal with everything when I get cleaned up" he doesn't say another word, just heads up towards his room.

...

Cal POV

I barely make it up the stairs because I am light headed. I should probably be healed, but I don't feel like I deserve it. Not when I lost men today. When I get up to my room, I take all of my dirty and bloody clothes off. I need to wash the blood off me, and I need to think. The day replays. The fight between Mare and I. How it went from fun to deadly. The lakelanders attack. Watching Mare swing her sword. The sheer force of her fighting and worrying she would be killed. It was too much. Finally, seeing how close Maven was to taking her again. Killing me. I need to kill him. I can't do this anymore. Keep thinking when he would show up again, to ruin my life. After my shower, I put on some cargo pants, and a black tshirt. I lay on my bed, resting for a moment.