Chapter 98 - A King's greatest weakness...his Queen

Chapter 105

I gasp in surprise, well...as much as I can with Cal's hand around my neck. The Prince looks at his father as if it is the first time seeing him. His mouth is in the shape of an O as he looks down to the dagger his father plunged into his stomach. I can't see the King's face, but from his posture he looks proud. What sort of man can kill his own Son. How heartless is this man. It makes me even more nervous for getting out of this.

The Prince lets go of Cameron as she drops to the ground. She is in shock too. The Prince shortly follows after, slumping to the ground in a heavy thud. The blood stains his hands, clothes and Cameron. Cameron surprisingly catches him as he falls and I see her say something to him. The Prince smiles and replies back.

In this time something else happens. Cal lets go of my neck. He looks at me with shocked eyes and I realise that the King must be so focused on his Son, his whispers have let go of Cal. In less time than it takes for me to register, Cal turns full force and throws himself towards the King. He is desperate to not be controlled again. The King has no time to register, as a great wall of fire hits the King from behind. I hear Cal grunt from the force, and the King too.

I don't hesitate, I prepare my lightning...because we finally may have the upper hand.

...

Cameron POV

There is blood everywhere, red blood. I almost forget the Prince is a red. I catch him when he falls, and he is half slumped onto my lap. I push his messy hair out of his face, so.I can see his eyes, and I realise that he is dying, fast.

"Just hold on" I whisper. He looks heartbroken and I feel sick. How could a father kill a son? How long was his father mind controlling him? Maybe the genuine side of him I saw at times was the real him. I hope I get to see that side of him, because it is not fair. My heart surprisingly feels heavy for this man. His father does not move, he just watches us.

The Prince smiles up at me, the same way he has been since we met. "Don't tell me you are actually starting to like me?" he says and I can't help but roll my eyes. Of course he would come up with some smartass response.

I don't have time to answer because someone knocks the King over, and when I see the red flames I know it is Cal. His compulsion must have slipped. I would help, but I cant leave him dying. I hold onto the Prince watching everything. Mare's hands light up, as she has Cal's back.

Suddenly after a couple of punches, Cal freezes. The King has a hold of his mind again. Cal gets up and the King follows but Mare is already prepared. She throws a massive bolt of lightning straight at the King. It hits him straight in the chest and I hear him scream in pain. The man is burning alive. The fire and the lightning work well together.

Some of the King's soldiers move forward, but Mare throws more lightning. Cal is still not moving, and he doesn't when the King tenses his jaw and grabs a sword. He heads straight for Cal.

Cal POV

I see everything, but I am frozen. I can hear the King scream in pain, I can hear the soldiers fry because of Mare's lightning. I can see Cameron and the Prince on the floor, the Prince dying. I can't do anything, and inside my mind I am screaming.

The King comes towards me, with a sword. This is it. This is how I die, at the hand of a whisper. The same way my father was taken from me. My son or daughter will never know me, all at the hands of a whisper. I am so angry, but in that moment all I want is for Mare not to see this. Not to see the sword that will pierce my heart.

I hear her scream and that breaks my heart. This is not how she should remember me. Suddenly someone moves from behind...Carter. The King doesn't see him, and he is not prepared when Carter runs a sword straight through his heart. It pierces his back, and comes out from the front of his chest. Carter pulls it out again, and I can feel his mind control leave. I don't waste time.

I use the opportunity Carter gave me to pick up my weapon and swing. It connects with the King's neck and in less time than it takes him to react, his head rolls to the ground and his body follows.

I look at Carter, who is breathing hard and I nod to him. I'm breathing hard too, and it takes me a second to realise we won.

The soldiers see their King's head on the ground, so they surrender falling to their knees. They drop their weapons and bow.

"Get a healer! He is still alive!" Cameron yells at the soldiers. They scramble running out of the hall. "Just hold on" Cameron says to the Prince. I could kill him too, but something about being stabbed by your own father and being controlled makes me sympathise. I will decide what to do with him later. For now...I turn towards Mare.

I don't have enough time to brace myself because she is already there, jumping up to hug me. She grips hard, her torn coronation dress ripped enough to allow her to wrap her legs around me. Her neck is buried in my shoulder and I can feel her tears. I hug her back, but not as tight. The baby. "I'm so sorry" she cries into my shoulder. I push her back, needing to look at her. I kiss her lips, hard...needing her...all of her. She is still crying.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I couldn't stop" I touch her neck, which is already bruising from my hands. I want to cut my hands off, because they caused her pain. She pushes my hand away.

"No. Don't. It wasn't you" she says softly, kissing my cheek, my lips, my hands. In desperation she is clinging to me and I don't blame her. My hands haven't left her either. I am never letting her go again. I grab her face in my hand, after I place her down making her look at me. I then move my hand down to her stomach, running my hand around.

"Please tell me..." I can't finish the sentence. I am worried, scared that something didn't happen to her the 2 days she was away from me. She shakes her head, placing her hand on my hand.

"The baby is ok Cal" she says. "Nothing happened" I breathe a sigh of relief, throwing my head back. I thank the Gods, even though I don't believe in them. I am the luckiest man alive, because we won. My wife is safe...my baby healthy. I get down on my knees, because I am tired...relieved. I kiss her stomach, and rest my head against her. "I'm never letting you or your mother out of my sight" I whisper. Mare chuckles.

She runs her hand across my hair. "We are never leaving daddy's side" she says. I close my eyes, and I cant help the tears that run down my face.

I am going to be a father. Me.

I have never been so scared and so happy at the same time. I finally have a family.

...

Prince POV

I am dying, but I can't help but feel content at the last thing I will see.

Cal, the King is on his knees, kneeling before his Queen and unborn child. His head is resting on her stomach, his eyes closed.

His Queen runs her hand on his head, letting him be weak for a moment. Letting him rely on her.

In that moment I realise that I will never get to experience that...pure love. Someone to bring even a King to his knees.

I close my eyes, letting the last thing I feel be Cameron's hands on my hair...letting me be weak in my time of dying. Maybe in another life.... I would have been able to show her the real me...the person who wanted to fall in love but was told that I couldn't.