Epilogue - Part 6

Nicholas POV

Before i can do anything, before i can say anything...she reacts. Coriane, finally figuring out my power reacts to me. She knows what i can do, and she knows that it can destroy her whole family, her Kingdom. To take power is to weaken, and without the Calore power, that many fear, they are nothing.

I remember a conversation that my father had with me a couple of days after i told him what Coriane wanted from me...marriage. An alliance. He said 'Son, this is our chance. We have never been on good terms with the Nortan's. Get close to her, make her vulnerable, and kill her. Then kill the rest. King Tiberius and Queen Mare will die without their children. They will be destroyed and easy to defeat'. He looked me in the eyes with this pride, something he has never given me. So i agreed. I agreed to kill Coriane. And the Calore's. As many as i could, with their own power.

Here i am, with the chance to do it, before she runs to her father to tell him what i can do. But i...cant.

She jumps over the table, grabbing a knife and throwing herself at me. Her trust is gone, and all she has is the fighting skills her father taught her. There are no servers, no one around to help her. I easily dodge her attack, but not before she pushes me to the ground. She swings, and i feel something warm trickle down my cheek...the knife. It didnt do damage, but it was enough to wake me out of my trance. She straddles me, swinging the hand with the knife and then a fist with the other. I dodge them. My hands reach for her hips, and as i lift my right leg, i flip her onto her back. I straddle her, grabbing both her hands and pinning her to the ground. She moves, pushes off, but i am too strong and her powers help me. She tries to yell out, because the fire she had not long ago is now burning her. My hands are burning her. Before the guards or servers are alerted, Serena places a hand on her mouth and knocks her out with her elbow. I watch as Coriane slumps, and blood trickles down her forehead where the impact hit.

"What the hell was that!" i yell at Serena.

"You know what we have to do!" she says back. She knows what my father wants me to do. She grabs the knife Coriane dropped when she was knocked out and goes to bring it down onto her throat. Something in me reacts, and i cant help it when i push Serena hard, knocking her off balance and away from Coriane. Serena looks at me, confused. Genuinely confused. Then she shakes her head, and looks at me with disgust.

"You're falling for her...really Nic" she says, her voice cracking after she says my name. I don't say anything, as i grab Coriane into my arms, and carry her away.

Maxton POV

I throw the chair in a fit of rage. "She can't be gone!...I knew something was off! I knew it!" i yell as I push aside in anger the perfumes, the decorations that sit on her vanity. She's gone. My sister...was taken.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, a hand burning up. "We will get her back Son" my father says, his voice low. I hear the slight crack in his voice and I can tell he is trying to stay strong for all of us.

We were alerted to Coriane's disappearance when the servers came back into the dining hall and found there was some sort of scuffle. Something happened because there were plates thrown about the table, food everywhere. There was blood too, and we all prayed that it was not Cori's. All of my siblings, my cousins rallied together, and we searched the whole castle. So did my aunts and uncles. Dad had to calm down my mom, because her lightning started to take over and she nearly brought the whole house down. All of our powers were up in the air when we found out. Only dad could calm us. And barely.

"I want all the guards out looking for her now" Dad said to General Houser. "Mare and I will be joining in. So will the children. I want everyone out looking for her, and when she is found i want her straight back here" General Houser agreed, and sent all his best men to accompany us. We searched all morning, day and night, and came back empty.