Chapter 104 - The newest heir

"You know what I hate most Sofia?" My new maid looks at me with scared eyes. I smile, hoping that it eases her mind. "Nothing you have done Sofia" she breathes a sigh of relief. "I hate when my own guard is late for his shift"

"Again, your majesty?" she asks, nodding in agreeance. She is punctual and a great maid. I like Sofia a lot.

"Yes again" I walk to the bathroom, going to pee for the hundredth time. I hear a knock at the door and Sofia answering it, having a little chat to whoever it is. I am guessing Ryan finally showed up. When I get out of the bathroom, Sofia steps forward.

"Your majesty, Ryan has arrived. He is outside" I nod.

"Thank you Sofia. But like I said, call me Mare" she looks down, flustered. I know it is strange to speak to a royal in such an informal manner, some would even say disrespectful, but the people who are close to me need to feel like they are close. I don't want Sofia to feel like a maid. Even though she has been with me for 3 weeks, she is already like a friend to me.

I grab my jacket and leave the room, ready to go and have breakfast. When I open the door, Ryan is outside. He bows but I don't give him a chance to speak or anything, I just turn the corner and walk towards the dining room. I hear Ryan run after me as I get to the first set of stairs. "Good morning Mare" he says, standing next to me to take the first step. I throw my hand out turning.

"It's 'your majesty' to you. And if you think that you can keep showing up late every day and pretend everything is ok, you are greatly mistaken" I take the first set of stairs, as his shocked face stands on the top. I hear him move as I round the first corner and get to the next. He follows and although I feel bad for saying that to him, he has changed. Ever since he has started dating Gisa, he has been spending his nights with her, and coming in late. I didn't mind it the first couple times, I thought it was cute that they were in love and wanted to be together. But it has been going on for the last 2 weeks and it has been very hard to keep up. I'm annoyed and maybe hormones make it worse, but I hate when I'm not taken seriously.

"I'm sorry" he says, following me. I can tell its genuine. "Your majesty" he adds. "I'm sorry"

I round the last corner and am at the hallway of mirrors which leads to the dining room. I stop and turn to face him again. "You're dismissed for the rest of the day" I say, as I turn to continue to walk myself to the dining room.

"Wait" he runs after me, putting his hand on my arm to turn me around. "I'm sorry...I really am. I have never been late in my life and I never meant to disrespect you. I don't know why I am so careless right now. Please...don't dismiss me. I want to protect you" I roll my eyes.

"You can't protect me" I say "Not today. Please...just go Ryan" I turn again, walking away from him. I may be harsh, but I need him to know I'm not someone to push over. Just because he is my friend, and just because he is with my sister now, does not mean he can get one over me.

Cal would be so pissed off, if he was here. It's been a couple weeks and maybe I am frustrated with him too. He is due to attack Caleb and the army of men some unknown King to me has sent. It took him so long to track them down, that now that they finally have...he is ready to kill someone. That's what his letters say at least.

...

After breakfast I decide to go to the square, by myself. I want to go for a walk and to just get outside. I cant be holed up in this castle anymore. I miss the outside world sometimes, the stilts. Home. Even though this is now my home, I still have half my heart where I grew up. The other half is here with Cal.

The square is full of people, families, young girls looking for suitors and soldiers looking for wives. It reminds me of the first time I came here, how taken I was by the culture of Nortans. Now with reds allowed in the square, its buzzing with people, my types of people.