Epilogue - Part 4

Song: If our love is wrong - Calum Scott (Play when this ** symbol is in the beginning of the section)

Coriane POV

Night comes and that means the party begins. The welcoming of the royal family, and the royal ass that they brought along with them, Prince Nicholas.

Serena, his mistress, returned soon after our awkward conversation and apologised to me. She said she would stay out of our way, and that because it was a long way to travel back to Valhalla that she would have to stay in the castle. I was about to say hell no, but my mother and father agreed. They later pulled me aside and said the King was not happy with my outburst and that his kingdom, because of my threat, seemed weak. They wanted this one privilege.

Hunter and Zoey, aunt Cameron and uncle Henry's kids took Serena to her chambers. They made sure to tell me it was far away from Prince Nicholas. I didn't care, but part of me was happy for that small fact. I changed and so did the rest of our family and we attended the welcome feast in the grand hall.

The night was awkward to say the least.

I felt the Prince's eyes on me all night, watching my every move. I made eye contact a couple of times, and stared him down, but he never blinked first. That was me. I looked away. There was something about his stare, his demeanor. It gave me a sense of...panic. Panic not to embarrass myself in front of him. Panic...wishing to know what he was thinking about. But i didnt have the slightest clue.

"He needs to stop looking this way before i throw him through that wall" Christian says, narrowing his eyes.

"Agreed" Maxton says back. In this moment, i love my brothers. I love them for protecting me. I am glad i have a family who wants to protect me. But i cant hide behind them.

"Easy boys" Clara says to them both, before leaning into me. She is next to me while my brothers are on the other side. I take another sip of my wine, and another. I look over at the Prince again as he also takes a sip of his wine. His eyes narrowing at me, watching. I have just about enough of him because I quickly get up, grab Clara's hand and tell her I want to dance. She grabs her wine glass and moves with me, grabbing our other cousins along the way.

The music changes into a song that has a little bit of a beat. The wine is starting to hit me in the head, because I suddenly don't care who is watching me. Let him watch. Suddenly I want his eyes on me. Clara and I dance freely, leaning over to whisper something to each other a couple times. Our wine glasses are filled by our staff so I never have to return to my table. The lights are dimmed and the grand hall turns into a massive party, just the way that my siblings and cousins always begged our parents when we were younger. Now its tradition. The candles and dimmed lights make the night a little more intimate. ** The music suddenly changes, turning into a slow song. The dance floor parts and I take another sip rolling my eyes absentmindedly. I'm just about to head back to my seat when I hear a familiar voice.

"May I have this dance?" I take a deep breath, and turn around to face Prince Nicholas. He is not smiling, he is not frowning. His face is expressionless. I involuntarily glance behind him and see Serena watching. She is also chugging from her glass like I have been.

"I don't want to dance with you" I say, using my free hand to sway my dress and turn on my heel to leave. I changed into a gown with a long slit down the side of the leg. It is off the shoulder, red and the dress clings to my body perfectly. I am leaving, but before I can take a step he grabs my hand and brings me back to him, so suddenly, it must look natural to anyone else. But I feel the urgent pull of his hand. He places one hand in my hand and brings the other around my waist, too low. Lower than a stranger offering a dance would. But he is no stranger. I guess I have to get used to the fact that he will be my husband. Unless I kill him first for pissing me off. He pulls me close and I have to place my hand on his shoulder because of habit if nothing else. We meet eachothers eyes, not saying anything and he leads us into the dance.