◄ Chapter 18 ► The Last Day

The three days of finals went by faster than expected. The last day I had met up with Madison just as we were leaving school early.

"I'm sorry I hadn't giving you your answer." I say as I caught up to her.

"But have you made up your mind?" She smiled down at me.

"Yeah, I've had a ton of time to think about it." Actually I haven't. I had been focused on Finals, Artis-while we had him-and everyday after schol I've been staying with Derek making sure he was fine. He would just lock himself in the bathroom but I stayed.

He lost his mother and he needed someone to be there for him. Calvin was dealing with his own problems. Juana was planning the funeral and his dad wasn't flying in until after prom. His mom might not of been the best of mothers but he still loved her. He had no choice but to love her, he couldn't control that. Plus he had the pressure of passing his finals on top of all this. So I was of course going to be there for him. So far he hasn't done anything stupid but there was no telling what he'd do because of this.

"Well what is it silly?" She laughed.

"I want to join but," I quickly added before she cut me off with a squeal. "I need to be there for Derek, he's dealing with the loss of his mom and he doesn't have anyone right now."

"I totally understand, you're his girlfriend, you care for him. You can be there for him, we don't start practice for another two weeks anyway." She smiled. "Plus we still have to get you a uniform."

I let out a sigh of relief and smiled.

"Thanks for understanding." I caught a tall figure from the corner of my eye and when I turned to look it was Derek. "I gotta go." I quickly rushed after him.

"Hey." I grabbed his hand. "You ok?"

"I'm fine." He mutters.

"You-"

"Monica I said in fine." He snapped at me.

"It's just I haven't seen you all day and I was worried." I pulled him towards the outskirts of the hall, out of the way of people.

"I'm fine really." He forced a smile on his face.

"Ok." I sighed, letting it go. "My mom wants you to come over for dinner." I try changing the subject and he roams his eyes everywhere but me. "Do you want to come?"

"Honestly?" He looks at me with a blank expression.

"No, I want you to lie and say you'll come." I say, sarcasm frosting every letter of my words. "Yes honestly."

"I don't want to go." He says bluntly and it stabbed me in the chest like a dagger.

Hurt must've flashed in my eyes because he groaned and tried walking away but I was still holding his hand.

"Monica let me go." He tried pulling free.

"No, not until you give me a reason as to why you won't come?" I pulled him back.

He stumbled forward and nearly fell on top of me. I was pressed against the wall and he was so close my nose was just decimeters away from touching his chest. He cupped my face in his hands and tilted my head upwards.

"I don't want to hurt you more than I am." He says in a softer tone.

"You're not-"

"Monica, I just don't want to go ok." He dropped his hand. "All I want is to...i don't know what I want but it's not sitting down and eating dinner with your mom." He stepped back.