Chapter 17

It's been four day's since Harry and I became headline news. Whilst he is off flying around Europe and performing to sold out crowds every other night, I am back behind the bar, back to reality.

The monotony of pulling pints is pleasant, this is what I know, this is the life I am used to. It's a Wednesday evening, still, the bar is busy tonight, seems most of my regulars have stopped in on their way home from work, so I have plenty of people to chat to in an attempt to not think about Harry. Who will shortly be taking the stage in Amsterdam for the second to last show of the European leg of his tour.

Yep, I glance at the clock. I didn't think about him for a whole six minutes there. Progress.

One of the customer's, Chris, a regular, catches my eye and motions towards his empty glass, his mouth turning down at the corners to emphasise how sad this is making him and I wander down the bar to start pouring him another pint.

"Why so, glum Katie?" He asks in a friendly tone.

Chris and his two workmates pop into the pub most week nights when they've finished at the building site for the day, they're all in their forties with wives and children waiting at home for them whilst they prop up the bar, but they're nice guys at heart.

"Ahh Chris, fairly sure it's the barmaid's job to listen to her customer's troubles, not the other way around," I say casually as I place his pint on the bar.

"Three fifty-five," I say out of habit, despite knowing that he probably knows the prices in here better than I do.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't be frowning. Let me get you a drink?"

"Thanks, but I'm OK. How're things on the site?" I ask him, trying to deflect attention from myself.

"Slow, some idiot managed to fuck up the latest delivery of supplies and its gonna set us back a couple of weeks."

As we are chatting, I see the door open and crane my neck around the large wooden post blocking my view to see who's come in. To my shock I see Toby striding towards me.

That alone would be strange enough, but it's what's in his hands that renders me unable to move from my spot in front of Chris.

"Katie? Earth to Katie? You alright babe?" Chris asks me.

I can hear his words, but I can't make my brain connect to my mouth for long enough to form a response. Toby reaches the bar and stands next to Chris.

"Miss Francis, I have a delivery for you." He says formally and tries to hand me the massive bouquet of white roses he is holding.

"Wow! Whoever sent those must have done something really wrong, my wife only gets a cheap bunch from Tesco's out of me." I hear Chris joke.

Finally, I snap back into myself and start to move down the bar gesturing for Toby to follow me.

Chris and his friends continue to call after me. I can hear them asking each other who would be sending me flowers like this as I walk out from behind the bar and Toby catches up with me.

"How did you know where I work?" Is the first thing that escapes my mouth, just one of many questions I have for him.

"I believe Miss Clarke was kind enough to provide that information," Toby states and holds out the flowers.

I take them gingerly, surprised by the weight, there have to be a dozen long-stemmed white roses in the beautiful bouquet.

"I believe there is a card. I best be on my way. Have a nice evening."

Toby tips his hat to me and leaves before I can say another word. I realise he is probably less inclined to speak to me after I was rude to him the other day when he bought my bag back.