Chapter 39

"You have to promise me that if you don't like it, you'll tell me. I can always return it and get you something else." Harry says quickly as he hands me a package that easily fits into my hand, it's perfectly wrapped in silver paper with a white bow.

"I'm sure I'll love it, but I'll promise anyways if it makes you happy." I say solemnly playing along, even though I already know I would never want to return anything that he's bought me.

I undo the bow and start to peel open the first corner of wrapping, then I have an idea and stop, glancing up at him

"If you want to ruin it... you're running low on time." I tease him as I slide a finger under the tab of paper I have released.

"You're killing me, baby, please just put me out of my misery already!" He replies, looking slightly flustered.

"OK, OK." I acquiesce and return my attention to the present "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

I slide off the last of the wrapping and am rewarded by a small black box. Alarm bells start going off in my head. Jewellery, he's bought me jewellery... my hands begin to tremble as I pry open the lid, gasping as I catch sight of the silver object inside.

"Harry...It's beautiful." I whisper.

"You're sure? I really can return it... " He starts, but I cut him quickly.

"No way are you returning it! I love it! Honestly!! Help me put it on?" I say, handing him the box.

He slowly removes the silver bracelet from inside and clasps it around my wrist. He places his hand next to my wrist.

"You're always fiddling with my ring." He says, brandishing the large silver rose ring that he always wears on the fourth finger of his right hand.

"When you're nervous or thinking something through in the pretty head of yours, you play with it. And I thought maybe you should have a rose of your own so that even when I'm not here, you have one to play with. Besides, Roses have kind of become our 'thing'." he adds.

My mind flashes back to the bouquet of white friendship roses that he sent to me at the pub and the pathway of them he set up in Japan, he's right, roses do always make me think of him. I stare down at the intricate loops of the chain around my wrist in wonder.

The charm that hangs against my skin is an exact, slightly smaller copy of the rose on his ring. It's perfect. Unbidden I feel a tear slip from my the corner of my eye.

"Harry... It's perfect. So thoughtful. Thank you." I say quietly and lean in to kiss him lightly.

My head is spinning in amazement that this man, this gorgeous, talented, sensitive man, took the time to think about a gift that would mean something to me, he must have had the charm made especially for it to be so perfect a match to his ring.

"I'm scared to give you mine now," I admit "There is no way I can compete with this," I say, shaking the bracelet in his direction.

I reach under the sofa where I have hidden his present and pull out the large rectangular gift, covered in shiny purple paisley wrapping paper.

"The paper reminded me of the suit you wore to that awards show in Australia," I say as I hand it to him. "I'm sorry it's not as grand as my beautiful bracelet, but I hope you'll still like it."

Harry takes the present from me with a quizzical look and examines the wrapping paper.

"You're right. It is like that suit." He laughs before tearing into the present like an excited child. "A book?" He says bemusedly.