Chapter 43

Harry's perspective

When I wake up on New Years Day, I am surprised to find that I'm all alone in my large bed, until I glance at the clock on my bedside table, eleven o'clock! dammit! I never let myself sleep this late, regardless of how late a night I've had.

I guess Katie must be up and about already as there is no sign of her, I suppose I had better get up and see what trouble my overnight guests have managed to cause while I have been sleeping.

I drag myself up and go to retrieve a pair of shorts that are hanging over the back of the oversized armchair in the corner and hear a noise coming from the garden. Looking out the window I spot Katie.

She looks stunning as always, in a simple yellow tank top and shorts, her hair is pulled up in a messy bun on the top of her head. I step out on to the balcony to get a closer look and am greeted by the joyful sound of Casey, James daughter, laughing and squealing as she runs around the deck playfully trying to avoid Katie's outstretched arms as she chases her.

When Casey finds herself backed into a corner, Katie sweeps the little one up into her arms and tickles her as she struggles to break free.

Soon Max, Casey's big brother joins them and starts attacking the back of Katie's legs with a plastic pirate sword, I try to smoother the laughter building in my throat as Katie places Casey on the ground carefully before succumbing to a fatal stab wound by Max, who raises his sword in victory as my girl dramatically falls to the floor, her hands clutching at her fake stomach wound. I can't help myself and call out to Max.

"Max! Did you just kill my girlfriend?" I say sternly in mock horror

His tiny voice calls back up "Sowwy Uncle Hawwy, but she was attacking my sister."

I see Katie look up at me, shyly. Evidently, she didn't realise she had an audience as her cheeks blush a beautiful pink in embarrassment, and she lowers her eyes to the ground.

Within moments, both the children jump on top of her and start calling out for her to "Do it again! Do it again!" Her carefree giggle reaches my ears as she succumbs to their demands and restarts the game.

I haven't seen her look so relaxed since before her arsehole ex went to the papers, not that she's been miserable or anything, but the spark in her eyes has dulled somewhat lately, and it's lovely to see her letting loose and having some fun.

It takes me back to my second London show when I invited her after meeting her the night before when she was taken ill. She had seemed sweet on the car journey home and the fact that she spoke to me like I was just a regular guy, endeared me to her, I had hoped we might become friends, but I never expected to fall as hard for her as I have, so fast.

I remember looking up at the balcony, trying to spot her through the bright lights and sea of faces in the crowd at the show during Carolina.
I always love to catch people dancing at my shows when they don't think I'm looking.

Seeing them genuinely enjoying the music I've helped create and losing themselves in the moment is one of my favourite things to witness, but something about Katie intrigued me. She was dancing away happily with Mel, swaying her hips easily to the rhythm and smiling from ear to ear, she looked as though she could have been dancing in her living room, she was so carefree.

It was such a transformation from the shy woman who barely managed to say two words to me in the dressing room before the show, and I could feel myself being drawn to her.

Trying to bring myself back to the present, I wander back into the bedroom and close the balcony door, but something catches my eye, small handprints smudged on to the glass.