13

We didn't talk for a while after that. I admit I did compliment him, and he said it was inspired by his parents... which I thought was really sweet. Not that they would ever hear it. He told me that it was just some song, his first song he ever wrote and it was the only one he could sing on the spot.

After he re- explained I just smiled lightly and thanked him for trying to get over his fears.

We were quite the rest of the way North to San Francisco and it was a comfortable silence. Soon we were in town looking for a place to park and then waited 15 minutes for a guy who had been just getting in his car to turn it on, get out of the spot and then I had to laugh at how Dominic tried over and over again to park my car.

"You know it's not as easy as it looks when you are used to driving a huge truck." He defended when I was still smiling brightly after getting out of the somewhat good parked car.

"Sure it's not. It's just smaller and lower to the ground." I teased and he just rolled his eyes.

"Just lead the way to the clothing store." He ordered and I just smiled happily and walked down a few blocks and turned right into the store.

"Barnie!" I shouted to my mom's longtime friend as soon as I walked in and he was standing there fixing some clothes.

"Jesy my girl how are you? How is your mom?" He asked walking over and hugging me tightly.

"I'm as good as can be. So is she." I answered when we parted a bit.

"And who is this? Are you bringing your first boyfriend to meet little ole me?" He asked rushing towards Dominic who had just been watching us.

"Not boyfriend... dance partner." I corrected and he looked between us and sighed.

"You need a boyfriend." He scolded and then turned back to Dominic. "Do you have a name?" He asked and held out his hand.

"Dominic." I said and Dominic shared a look with me before focusing back on Barnie.

"Dom." He introduced and shook his hand.

"Barnie." He said playfully in the same tone. I watched as he sized him up and almost laughed the way Dominic seemed to try and hide his muscles.

"Dominic and I are looking for some dance clothes... for a competition." I said the last part after a few moments.

"You are dancing again? In front of people?" He asked happily but I just nodded solemnly. "You should be happy. First Juilliard and now a competition." He gushed walking back over and hugging me again. "Your mom must be so proud." He said and then started playing with bits of my hair.

"She's happy about it." I said knowing proud isn't the word I would describe her feelings. Not yet anyways. She would be proud if we won. She is happy I am trying to compete again.

"As she would be! This is a great day! Am I invited?" He suddenly got very serious.

"I would have thought my mom already invited you." I said and he just nodded and laughed.

"And you!" He turned to Dominic and hugged him making Dominic freeze up. "You are the reason she is dancing again! Right?" He asked letting Dominic breath a bit.

"No, not really." He eyed Barnie but as usual Barnie was unfazed.

"Of course you are! I bet if she didn't have a partner she wouldn't have tried at all." He said slapping Dominic on the shoulder and then turning back to me. "Now, what kind of outfits do you have in mind?" He asked and I looked at Dominic in the eyes for the first time.

"White jackets for the boys with a white tank tops and black slacks. Girls will wear all black." He said and I was a little impressed. At least we wouldn't be all matching. It actually sounded great.