3

I followed close behind Dominic’s truck as Maddie and I continued our game of would you rather. She had the weirdest ideas. One of them that stumped me again was would I rather only eat chocolate or never eat chocolate again.

I know that seems really petty but it seriously stumped me. I chose never eat it again. She was shocked but I knew I would miss all the flavors of other food again so I would rather miss one flavor than a bunch. She didn’t see it the same way.

When he pulled into a driveway I parked on the opposite side of the street and carefully got out. I made my way over and held my hand out to Maddie, she took it and before she could walk I looked both ways and basically made us both run across.

“Are you sure I should be here?” I asked either one of them when Maddie reached for Dominic’s hand and we were all walking together.

“Just stop complaining.” Dominic snapped and opened the front door. “We’re home, and we have a guest invited by Maddie!” Dominic shouted and I heard footsteps coming towards us.

“Oh, hello.” A woman wearing sweat pants said walking over to me and shaking my hand.

“Mom this is Jesy, my dance teacher.” Maddie said looking at our faces as she spoke.

“You’re a little young to teach just dance… aren’t you?” She asked with a small smile on her face.

“She does go to school with me.” Dominic supplied putting Maddie’s bag in a closet.

“Oh, a double treat, here come with me.” She said and soon I was being pulled into the house farther.

It was a nice house. “Rudy! We have a guest for dinner.” She shouted when we got closer to the kitchen, and I could tell because it smelled heavenly.

“It must be one of Maddie’s friends…” He came around the corner and stopped.

“She is, trust me.” Dominic muttered as he walked past and by the tone I could tell he was telling his parents he would never associate with me.

“I’m her dance teacher.” I said and he looked almost as put off as his wife did.

“You’re too young.” He said in a disbelieving tone while looking at my face closely.

“I also go to school with your son.” I said not wanting to say Dominic’s name.

“Oh, that does make more sense, you go to school with Nicky and teach my daughter, is that how he found a dance studio for her?” He asked happily and I was just confused.

“Dad, I thought we talked about you not calling me Nicky, I said Dom was fine.” Dominic said with a playful tone changing the subject.

“I have always called you Nicky and I always will… and don’t touch those until you wash your hands.” His dad scolded and smacked his hand as he went for some steamy rolls. He turned back to me as if ready to say something but then shook his head, “I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.” He said holding out his hand for me.

“Jesy.” I said shaking his hand.

“You can call me Rudy and you have met my wife Stacey.” He said gesturing to Maddie’s mom.

“Yeah, and this is a great house, it’s so big.” I said and heard someone start choking on something only to look past Rudy and see Dominic laughing with his mouth full of something.

“Sorry, seems our son and your friend have a dirty mind.” Rudy said and right away I snapped my eyes to him.

“No, Dominic and I barely know each other, we aren’t really friends.” I said clearing that up a bit.